Chapter 2

After walking in silence for about an hour we stopped in front of a hotel. Tec led me inside quickly, smiling at the doorman on his way past him. He ushered me inside of the elevator and pressed the button for the penthouse, having to scan a key card to get the elevator to move.

"We'll have to find you some clothes. Kissy could probably lend you some, but you're a very different size than she is."
I looked down at my soft cotton pyjamas and green long cardigan. These were the clothes I had died in. A pyjamas from the grocery store that was on sale and a cardigan I had treated myself to some years ago. I loved this cardigan but it was utterly ruined now, stained with blood.

Tec strode out of the elevator as soon as the doors opened and spread his arms out to the sides. "Children! Come hither!" he yelled out through the penthouse.

People started emerging from different rooms. A couple of very large almost ash-coloured twin men, looking exactly the same but for their clothing. Both had very pale skin and very light hair. A skinnier but even taller, fiery red haired pale guy and a tall but very slim black girl all looked expectantly at Tec.

"I've got a new sister for you all," he said and motioned towards me.

I let my gaze meet every single one of the strangers'. They all looked curiously at me.

"Aura, this is Dawid and Iwo. They're twins." Tec chuckled and both of the twins rolled their eyes at him. One twin appeared to have a cochlear implant. "That's Kissy." He pointed at the only other girl in the room and she wiggled her fingers at me. "And this is my favourite," he said and walked towards the ginger. He cupped the back of his neck and kissed him.

The ginger chuckled and pulled away, looking over at me. "I'm Frej."

"And this is Aura. The newest addition to the family," Tec said, draping his arm around Frej's shoulders.

"About damn time!" Kissy said and smiled widely at me. "I've been wanting another chick to be around for the last 200 years!"

"Baby steps, Kissy. I haven't filled Aura in on everything yet. Can you help her with some clothes first?" Tec said.

"Of course. Come with me," she said and grabbed my hand, gently leading me to what appeared to be her room.

It was a nice room. A king sized bed in the middle, small white rococo bedside tables on either side. A soft beige rug stretched over the floor in front of the bed. Matching suitcases were neatly placed by the big white dresser.

"Let's get you out of those wet clothes and into something dry, oui?" Kissy said softly. Her French accent was cute.

She went for the dresser and started rummaging through it. "This is all I have for now. We'll go shopping later, okay?"

I just nodded and took the clothes she handed me.

"There's a bathroom through there. Feel free to change and maybe take a bath..." She stopped because I had frozen in place. In that moment I couldn't bear to see another bathroom. Especially not a tub. Less than two hours ago I had woken up in one filled with my own blood and I just couldn't...