Chapter 26

I woke up before Dawid

I woke up before Dawid. He had been up until the early morning, looking into how we'd get back home again. No reason to stay in the US, when the Danish country house was bigger and we all liked it better.

I went to the kitchen, looking for some breakfast. Or... Well, dinner technically? Blood. I went looking for blood.

I hadn't bothered to turn on the lights as I could see easily enough in the dark, and that's why I got a major fright when they turned on all of a sudden. I dropped the mug I had just retrieved and it smashed on the floor, me squeaking like a doggy-toy.

"Aura!" Frej exclaimed, his hand on his chest as if he was about to have a heart attack. He was shirtless, dressed in these pyjama bottoms that had small hearts on them. It was ridiculously cute, compared to his shirtless torso that was of course covered in blue ink. I had seen him topless once, but I had been preoccupied with having another person highjacking my body then. This time I actually got a chance to really look at them all.

"What are you doing up this early?" Frej asked as I started picking up the shards of the broken mug.

"I was hungry and couldn't sleep anymore." I dumped the shards in the bin and turned back to Frej. He was rummaging through the fridge, his back turned to me. The imagery on his back was striking. One massive imagery of what appeared to be a horse?

"Frej?"

"Ja?" He always said 'yes' in Danish. Sounded a lot like "yeah" but with the flat accent he had.

"What's that on your back?"

He looked over his shoulder and smiled. "That's Slejpner. He's Loki's eight-legged son. Loki turned into a female horse and mated with Svaðilfari, the best of all horses. Together they had Slejpner who has eight legs and is ridden by Odin." He picked out a bottle of blood and poured it into three mugs before putting them into the microwave. "The seer tattooed this on my back so I'd get the strength of Slejpner."

I had no idea what to say to that. Norse mythology was weird as fuck.

The microwave dinged and Frej put the three mugs on a tray. "Come on. Xipe's up too and I bet he'd be happy to get a visit from you."

We went back to Tec and Frej's room, finding Tec still in bed. "Ugh, Fakkel..." Tec murmured and said something else in Danish.

"Aura's here, my love," Frej said softly and put the tray on the bedside table before sitting down on the bed, brushing Tec's cheek.

Tec flopped on his back and stretched before sitting up, smiling very tiredly at me. "Good evening. You're up at a ridiculous hour."

"It's 7 PM, Tec," I snorted and sat down at the foot of the bed. Frej handed us our mugs and then sat down next to Tec.

"Too early for my taste."

"You were the one who woke me up," Frej said and arched his brow at Tec.