Chapter 15

I didn't feel much like partying after that so I hid away in the garden

I didn't feel much like partying after that so I hid away in the garden. I hid until Tec found me, my knees against my chest sitting in a big weird chair made out of wood.

Tec knelt down in front of me, gently wrapping his hand around my ankle. I put my hand on top of his and patted it gently.

We sat in silence for quite a while. The sky brightened in the horizon and I knew we had to go inside soon. But I didn't want to.

"What happens if we stay here?" I asked quietly.

"We die. We're creatures of the night. We don't belong in the sun," he said softly. "Aura, I will burn whoever hurts you. The one behind this will suffer. You hear me?"

I nodded and sighed. "I just... Don't understand why."

"It has nothing to do with you, okay? Nothing. No one wants to harm you."

I looked up at met his gaze. "If it isn't about me, and if it's about you... Why not go for the obvious target? Why not go for Frej?"

"Frej is a very old and very powerful being, Aura. He's not easily harmed."

"Why was I the only one affected by the lavender?"

"Your drink was the only one drugged."

I shook my head. "No, Tec. Because a deity accidentally drank from that same blood and got ill." I sighed again. "Tell me what's going on."

"I can't. Yet. I need to figure out what all of this means first. Give me time, Aura. Just give me time and I'll get to the bottom of this." He turned his hand so it grasped mine instead of my ankle. "I gave you a second chance at a new life. I don't want anyone or anything to interfere with your happiness."

I smiled a bit or tried to. But I didn't really feel it. I knew it wasn't Tec's fault but I still didn't want anyone to do this much for me. I wish I could just forget about the whole thing. I didn't want anything to happen to anyone.

My pulse was booming in my ears and my heart was slamming in my chest

My pulse was booming in my ears and my heart was slamming in my chest. I ran faster than I had ever run before. I was hunting and I had my prey on lockdown. I had followed this scent for the last hour and I was so getting whoever smelled like that.