Chapter 10

We moved to another house in the city of Copenhagen

We moved to another house in the city of Copenhagen. Well, not in the middle of it, and apparently according to Frej, that meant we weren't really in Copenhagen at all. Suburbs didn't count. That was a whole discussion I didn't feel like getting into.

But we did get a nice house by the sea and we could see over to Sweden when the weather was clear. Big boats sailed between the two islands and I liked sitting in the massive windowsill, watching them.

And that's where Dawid found me. Sitting in one of the small living rooms, legs tucked up to my chest and my arms wrapped around them, watching the lights across the pond.

He sat down on the other side of the windowsill, leaning against the wall behind him. He smiled softly at me and I smiled back.

"My turn to ask questions," he said and tipped his head to the side.

"Ask me anything," I said. I guess it was only fair.

"How come you didn't have anyone when you were alive?"

I sighed deeply and shifted my eyes to the water again. "I'm shy and... I generally don't hang out with people long enough to get to a point where I'm not shy anymore."

"How come?"

I shrugged a little. "Most people make me uncomfortable. I always think people don't like me and find me annoying so I'd cut them off before it got to that point. Being around people is just... Effort. Or it used to be. I think I'm getting better at it."

"I don't find you annoying. I like you," he said and then the top of his ears turned fire truck red. "Uh... What I meant was, you're not annoying."

I couldn't help but smile. My stomach was filled with butterflies and I just couldn't wipe away that smile.

Neither of us said anything for a while. We both just sat there and watched the pretty lights. It was nice. The silence wasn't awkward, it just felt natural and relaxed. Even despite Dawid saying, he liked me. I knew what he meant. It was just platonic and he was trying to be nice. I guess. And I appreciated his words. It was so nice being liked for a change.

"Tec wants to take us all out tonight," Dawid said finally, disturbing the silence.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah. He thinks we need to let off some steam. Not to mention this is his favourite place. He always takes us there when we're here."

"Sounds nice. I'd like to get out a bit, I think."

"You haven't been out since that night, so I can imagine. It's a pretty relaxed bar thing. It's not really a bar... It's hard to explain. But Iwo loves the music there."

I bit down on my lip, to not ask another stupid question.

"You can ask," Dawid laughed. Was I that transparent?