Chapter 6

I was nervous going into this massive country house, knowing there'd be others like me

I was nervous going into this massive country house, knowing there'd be others like me. Who were waiting to see me, because I was the newest addition to the club of living dead.

Kissy had her arm around mine, telling me of all the lovely people I was going to meet, but I was so nervous. I had never been comfortable in crowds and there was going to be a lot of people here.

"Wait a bit, Aura," Tec said before we entered through the massive wooden doors.

I lingered while the others entered without us. Frej cast one last look over his shoulder before the doors closed, smiling encouragingly at me.

"The people in there... They're going to be scrutinising you and your every move, so stay close to me, okay? Don't drink too much of whatever they offer you. Just take a sip and then get rid of the rest. The blood in there is strong and they want you make a fool of yourself."

"I'm not hungry..."

"Take one sip. You don't wanna be known as someone who's suspicious of your own kind." He put both of his hands on my shoulders and squeezed them a bit. "You'll do brilliantly in there. You'll fit right in. You look beautiful, you're young, you're hot-blooded. You're hungry. Ferocious when you kill. You're the best apprentice I've ever had."

I swallowed something, completely unable to form an answer to that.

"Come on. Let's show these old assholes who's boss," Tec said and smiled at me. He put his hand on my back and showed me inside. The heat hit me instantly, making me almost miss the cool night air outside.

And then every single head turned towards me and I wish I hadn't let Kissy talk me into wearing this dark blue velour dress, because I bet it looked stupid on me now.

These people... All were tall, beautiful and well-dressed. None looked older than 35 and there wasn't a single thing wrong with anyone. Not a little scar or pimple or anything. They were flawless and I didn't feel like I fit in at all.

"Xipe Totec," one very slender woman said and almost swayed forward, away from the crowd.

"Bow," Tec murmured and I did immediately. He did too but straightened very fast. "Neith."

"I didn't think you'd show," she said a little coolly. She was so tall. And a bit scary looking too.

It was obvious she was older than she looked. Maybe it was the big golden ankh hanging around her neck, the golden arrow snaking its way up around her arm, or just the fact that she looked like she had just stepped off the walls of an ancient pyramid painting.

Her dark painted eyes shifted to me and she smiled a little. "You must be the newcomer."

I nodded, still flabbergasted by how much she looked like an Egyptian goddess.

She gave me a short nod back and returned to the party. It was like everyone came back to life and returned to whatever they had been doing before the Egyptian noticed me.