Chapter 14

Anticipation was rising as the day of Tec's party neared

Anticipation was rising as the day of Tec's party neared. Apparently it wasn't just a small get together like Frej had described it as. Several deities with their own 'families' would attend and I was the only one who didn't know a single soul there. Well, besides the people in my 'family'.

Kissy had been shopping online and we had both found something that we thought looked good. Honestly, I just wanted Kissy to be my personal shopper because the dark green dress she had found for me was so comfy and... I think I looked good in it. It even had long sleeves. I wanted to kiss her when I opened the parcel containing the dress.

So we were all lined up in the hall, waiting to greet the guests. Frej was trying to get Tec's collar to be straight, while Dawid inched closer to me, until his hand slipped into mine. I gave it a soft squeeze.

The door opened and a large man stepped over the threshold. He kind of looked like Tec. They shared the same light brown skin colour and almost black eyes. The same black hair and the same facial features. This guy was a massive version of Tec.

"Brother!" he exclaimed with a booming voice and embraced Tec. I was afraid poor Tec's back would break, but then the large man put him down again, patting his head.

"Frej, you look well," the giant said and gave Frej a courteous nod.

"As do you," Frej replied courtly with a small smile and bowed his head.

The giant turned his attention back on Tec. "How has this year been?"

"Very fruitful," Tec replied calmly. He held his hand out towards me and I reluctantly let go of Dawid's, stepping in beside Tec. "Aura has joined us."

The giant turned his eyes down on me and I had never felt smaller in my entire life. He tipped his head to the side and then briefly glanced at Tec, before sending me a very white smile.

"Very pleased to meet you, Aura. My name's Ixtlilton. People call me Ton for short." 

I tried to scour my brain for something to say. But I came up so short. Ton just chuckled and turned back to Tec.

"My entourage will arrive in a minute. Cassandra had some wardrobe trouble and the others decided to wait for her."

"Well, let's at least get a drink while we wait, shall we?" Tec asked and slapped the back of his brother's back.

"Of course! Hey Frej, Asger will be joining us tonight too. He's new and his English isn't the best. Could you maybe...?"

"Of course," Frej replied courtly and bowed his head again.

"Thanks buddy." Ton winked at him and went with Tec into the big living room.

And we were left standing in the hall. I glanced up at Frej, probably looking like a big question mark.