Chapter 28

We sat on that floor for a while

We sat on that floor for a while. I didn't really want to move or leave. But we had to. Zitzi pulled me to my feet and together we walked towards the one door that was left standing. The one with Ton's name on it.

I opened it. Ton was still on the floor. Tec was both lying in front of him and standing behind him, screaming at him to wake up.

"Ton," Zitzi said softly.

He looked up and then his face went long. He shot to his feet and shot forward, taking Zitzi in his arms. He broke down completely, slowly falling to his knees, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"I failed you," he cried.

Zitzi put her hand on his head, softly patting it. "No, Ton, no."

Tec took a deep breath and then he came for me. He hugged me close and then pulled back, looking down at me.

"What happened to Teo?"

"I uh... Kind of drained him."

He laughed and looked back at his siblings. Ton was on his feet again, his arm around his much smaller sister's shoulders.

"You did so well, Aura," Zitzi said and smiled.

"She's the best," Tec said a little strained.

Zitzi let go of Ton and motioned Tec to her. It was like all the tension left him and he hugged her without hesitation.

"I'm sorry, Zitzi," he whispered.

"I know," she replied and ran her hand up and down his back. "It's all over now."

"What actually happens now?" Ton asked with a gruff voice and rubbed his eye.

"I... Think I'm the new Death?" I said.

"Of course," Ton said, a crooked smile sliding over his lips. "You'll do a far better job than I ever would have."

"Do... Do I have to?" I asked with a small voice.

"I'll help you," Tec said and let go of his sister again, putting his hand on my shoulder. "I was trained for this job after all. I know what to do."

"Can I still see Dawid?"

"You're Death. You can do whatever the fuck you want from now on," he laughed.

 You can do whatever the fuck you want from now on," he laughed