Chapter 17

Everyone met up in the big living room

Everyone met up in the big living room. The black blinds were all covering the windows, shrouding the room in darkness if it hadn't been for the fire in the fireplace, and the few lamps scattered around the room. Soft armchairs and sofas were all placed in a half circle around the fire. Tec and Frej were already occupying one sofa, Frej lying with his head on Tec's thigh, a soft woollen blanket over him.

Dawid and I took the other sofa, while Kissy sat by the fire, her legs pulled up to her chest. Iwo opted for a chair.

None of us said anything for a long while, the only sound interrupting the silence was the cracking fire.

"I always wondered why I was the only deaf one," Dawid said then without looking away from the fire, the flames sparkling in his grey eyes. He looked over at Tec then, to read his lips.

"Anyone who aren't perfect don't get chosen," Tec muttered. "When I found you two on the bottom of that lake, your arms were intertwined. I couldn't just... Leave you."

Dawid nodded. His hand dumped down on the back of my neck, his fingers gently massaging my sore muscles.

"Thank you," Iwo murmured and his hands signing along with his words. "I don't know what... What I'd do without him." He looked up and met his identical twin's eyes. He signed something and Dawid smiled. He signed something back and Iwo snorted.

"He says, I couldn't live without the handsomer twin."

Kissy snorted softly. "He's totally right, you know."

Dawid looked triumphantly at his twin and Iwo just rolled his eyes.

"Frej?" I asked then, hesitantly.

"Mmh?" He didn't even open his eyes.

"What did you do to me?"

"I cleansed your body."

"Can everyone do that?"

He opened his eyes a little and peered over at me. "No. Xipe has taught me a lot."

"I told you he was powerful," Tec chimed in, his hand running up in Frej's hair. "Frej, being as old as he is, has had a lot of time to adapt. His affiliation with the gods and the powers that flows in him is extraordinary."

"And I regularly feed on Xipe," Frej murmured. "His blood is powerful. Our bond is strong and only grows stronger. The stronger it gets, the stronger I get. And so does he."

"Is that why everyone is against you two being together?" I asked.

Tec nodded. "The others don't like the thought of one like Frej being as powerful as them. But he is. Only difference is, he had a mortal life before this one, though it was short. Maybe that's why it's so easy for him to learn. Because he wasn't mortal for long enough to be set in mortal ways like you all."