Chapter 4

"Come with me, Aura," Tec said as he entered the living room

"Come with me, Aura," Tec said as he entered the living room. I was on night three of being a reanimated corpse, slowly getting to terms with this being my life now.

I followed him up on the roof without questioning him. There was a little garden we could stroll around in, but Tec opted for the garden furniture.

He took a deep breath and leaned back in the metal chair and looked up at the stars.

"How are you?" he asked then and looked over at me.

"I'm good."

"Iwo said, you opened up a bit. That's good. He's a good one to open up to too. He can read people better than anyone I've ever known, so he always knows what people need to hear. It's an amazing gift."

I nodded.

"And Kissy likes you a lot. I was afraid she'd be jealous. You know how girls can be."

I nodded again.

"This is your time, Aura. I'm all yours. Ask me anything you want."

I wet my lips and shifted a bit on the chair. "Why did Death choose me?"

He smiled a bit and scratched the back of his neck. "You're special."

"That's not an answer. You've already told me that before."

"I said you could ask me anything. I never said I'd give you all the answers," he chortled and stretched out his long legs.

I rolled my eyes and looked back at the skyline, stretching out before us. It was a beautiful town really. I had lived here for five years but I hadn't ever appreciated its beauty. Maybe it was because I was finally not blind anymore.

"Will I change?"

"Change? Change how?"

I swallowed something and rose to my feet. "Will I change... Like..." I sighed deeply and shook my head. I approached the railing, keeping me away from the edge and gripped it hard. I stood there for a moment, looking down at my knuckles pale before I turned back to Tec. "Will I become better?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Oh, you know exactly what I mean... I'm... I'm socially inept."

He burst out laughing and rose to his feet. He put his heavy hand on top of my head and ruffled up my hair a bit. I shoved his hand away.

"Don't laugh," I said and pouted.

"Aura, you're quiet, not socially inept. It's okay to be quiet. Not everyone has to be bubbly and outgoing and shit. And no, that is probably not gonna change. Your personality, who you are, isn't going to change just because of what you are now. Maybe you'll break out of your shell a bit or maybe you won't. But it's okay either way. You're family and it's not gonna change whether you're a blabbermouth like Kissy or quiet like Dawid."