Chapter 22

"So, make this," Frej said and pointed to the page of the book he was holding in his arms

"So, make this," Frej said and pointed to the page of the book he was holding in his arms. I nodded and tried to copy it as well as I could.

"How's that?" I asked and took a step back, the bowl of blood in one hand, the borrowed paint brush in the other.

"Yeah, might be good enough. Okay, Iwo, you can try and enter now," Frej called out.

Iwo sighed, pushed himself out from the wall and tried passing the threshold but it seemed like an invisible wall stopped him.

"Excellent, Aura," Frej murmured and walked over to the ward. He placed his fingers on it, trying to push at it. "This is strong."

"Yeah, I can't get through either," Iwo chimed in and stepped back.

Frej turned his back on the doorway and then wiped the mark, I had painted on the frame of the door, off the wood with his hand.

"Very good. Soon you can help me protecting our homes." Frej looked at me, pride shining brightly in his eyes and I felt myself grow a little under his praise.

"Why are you teaching her that stuff again?" Iwo asked and entered the library now when he could without being held back by a ward, dumping down on the couch.

"Because Xipe asked me to. He thinks Aura might have the same abilities as me and he wants them to grow," Frej said while looking down at the book in his hand, flipping a couple of pages.

"Not to mention, it's kind of cool, practising magic," I said and grinned at Iwo who just snorted in reply.

"So, what are we doing next?" I asked, excited to learn more.

"You'll move on from this ward when you've memorised the symbol so well you no longer need a reference."

Not as exciting as I had hoped, to be honest. I think he could see my disappointment because he smiled slightly at me.

"A lot of strength lies in being able to remember these things, Aura. You won't always have this book on you after all, and we need to teach you how to defend yourself. Especially with Teo and Atlas planning your demise."

"Frej, word choice, bro." Iwo sighed.

"What's wrong with it?" Frej asked.

"'Planning your demise' sounds like something from the middle ages. Also, it's sinister as fuck. Don't scare the girl."

"He didn't," I squeaked. He totally had. I had almost forgotten all about Teo and Atlas. Happily too. I didn't wanna remember this, at all. What had happened was a one-time thing and Tec would take care of it from here. Surely. He had promised I was safe.

"Regardless of my word choice, you need to be able to protect yourself. If not from this threat then another. We do not live peaceful lives, unfortunately."