Chapter 8

I woke up to someone gently shaking my shoulder

I woke up to someone gently shaking my shoulder. It was odd how I slept now. There were no dreams or anything. It was just like I passed out for some hours and then woke up all refreshed. I wondered if I was even moving around, when I slept.

I opened my eyes and looked into a pair of very green ones.

"Good evening!" Frej said happily.

I smiled and sat up, stretching my arms over my head. "Hey. Is something up?" I rubbed my eye.

"Oh no. I was just wondering if you could help me with cellphones today. Xipe bought me one some time ago, but I don't know how to use it."

"Of course. Just let me get out of bed and into some clothes and stuff," I yawned and pushed the thick duvet aside.

Frej turned on his heel and left the room, letting me get some privacy.

My legs felt a lot better than they had the previous day, and I was thinking I might've actually been able to go out hunting. I wanted to. The blood Frej had heated up for me yesterday had been okay, but it didn't compare to getting it right from the source.

I found Frej on a very old sofa, desperately trying to turn his phone on. I dumped down next to him and showed him how to do it. He was way better at picking up on how to use a phone than the computer.

"Frej?" I said a little hesitantly while he was checking out Instagram. He looked up and smiled a fang-filled smile. "What's with the tattoos? You don't seem like the type at all."

"Oh," he said and looked down at his fingers, wiggling them a bit. "I have a lot actually." He pulled his sleeves up and showed even more blue marks snaking their way up his skin. Then he pulled down on the neckline of his shirt and showed off the heads of two wolves.

"It's Sköll and Hati. They're wolves trying to eat the sky and the sun during Ragnarök. My clan thought if they sacrificed me to them the wolves would leave the sun out during winter. So they gave me these so the wolves would recognise me when I entered Fólkvangr. That's Freja's realm. They thought I'd be granted access to there and then the wolves would find me." He snorted softly. "Xipe found me instead."

"So they tattooed you before they burned you?" I asked, horrified.

"Yeah." He looked down at his hands again, slowly running one finger over a rune under his knuckle. "I was already on fire. In my heart and that's why my hair was orange, they said. I... I thought it was a great honour at first. I got to live in the biggest cabin in the village and everyone pampered me while I was getting tattooed. I didn't really understand they'd actually burn me alive... But I was also a stupid child back then." He shrugged a bit and met my gaze. "Anyways, do you have any tattoos?"

"I do actually," I said and smiled a bit. I pulled down on my shirt and showed him the square design, etched into my skin. "It's a Haitian Veve. It's a beacon for the Loa. They're spirits. This one is Ma'man Brigit's. She's the mother of cemeteries and the spirit or loa of money and death."