Chapter 9

"Xipe," Frej said softly and smiled up at his husband as we entered the house

"What?!" Tec growled back without stopping. He headed for the stairs and started climbing them. Frej rose to his feet and followed Tec upstairs.

Dawid sighed deeply from the armchair.

"So it didn't go well?"

"I don't even know what it was about..." I said and looked back at the stairs. A door slammed upstairs.

"Tec tends to forget his creator is a bitch. So he goes to her and comes back here to yell at Frej for a bit. And then Frej sulks. And then they make up. Sometimes they get remarried again. Don't worry, they'll both be fine."

I bit down on the nail on my thumb and sat down on the sofa. "Dawid?"

He smiled at me, giving me a small nod, encouraging me to continue.

"I killed a little boy," I said without letting go of his gaze. He rose from the chair and sat down next to me on the sofa.

"And how do you feel about that?"

"I don't feel bad. Should I feel bad?"

"Does the lion feel bad when it kills a foal? A baby gazelle?"

"Animals aren't conscious like we are."

Dawid shrugged a bit. "Aura, some have rules. Some have morals in all of this. And at some point, they break those rules because they're hungry. Some day they're out in the woods and haven't fed for a week and the only thing there is to feed on is a little girl playing with her sister. So it's either you or them. What we do to survive isn't pretty. But we do what's necessary. You're not human anymore and therefore you shouldn't feel bad for killing them. It's... Just how it is now."

"The girl... That was you wasn't it?"

"Yes," he replied without hesitation.

That wasn't what I expected him to say. I expected him to say something along the lines of, 'we all need boundaries, Aura. You need to find yours and killing kids should be one of them.' But Dawid didn't say that.

Instead, he took my hand in his, slowly threading his fingers in between mine and gave my hand a soft squeeze.

"You shouldn't feel bad about what you are. Or trying to make yourself feel bad about it when you don't. You're not obligated to follow human morals." He looked down at our hands and smiled a little. "You can if you want. But you don't have to."

He looked up and met my gaze. I opened my mouth, getting ready to say something but we were interrupted by Kissy and Iwo walking in. Dawid let go of my hand and moved back on the sofa. Iwo dumped down between me and Dawid, while Kissy took the armchair.

"What the fuck happened? I've never heard Tec this angry," Iwo said and turned his head to me.

"I don't know... We visited his... Whatever she is, and she just told us to leave." I shrugged.