Chapter 12

"Aura, let's go hunt," Tec said from behind me

I looked over my shoulder and smiled. Dawid and I had occupied one of the smaller living rooms, talking about nothing. We had just been fooling around really. Been laughing a lot.

"Sure," I said and rose from the couch. Dawid waved at me and I waved back.

"You two seem to get along," Tec noted as we stopped in the hall. I was taking my socks off, still wanting to hunt barefoot.

"We do." I kept it cryptic. I kind of wanted to keep Dawid to myself for a bit before telling anyone we liked each other. We still had to figure out what we wanted from this. What this even was.

"I'm happy you're getting along with everyone. They're all very smitten with you." Tec snorted as we walked into the darkness.

There were woods surrounding Tec's estate and we were pretty far out of town, but finding people out here wasn't a problem. Making them disappear wasn't either. Tec always took care of that, and he didn't tell me what he did with the bodies. But they were never found, he promised.

We found a couple out for a moonlight walk and as always we didn't play with our food. It was over quickly and I felt a little drunk from the blood. That happened sometimes and it was never unpleasant.

And we didn't go home right away as we usually did. We found a bench and sat down on it.

"How are you feeling?" Tec asked without looking at me.

"I'm good," I said truthfully, because I was. I was actually good.

"And you don't feel anything from the lavender?"

"Oh no, that disappeared after a couple of days."

"I'm glad to hear that. I've been too distracted lately. I want to be there more for you," he said and shifted his dark eyes to me, looking concerned. "You're special to me."

He took my hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Tec... Why did your maker throw us out like that?"

"Because she doesn't approve of my choices." He shrugged a bit.

"But she didn't seem like that at first. It was when she saw me something changed."

"No, love. She's just like that because I wasn't supposed to be with Frej. She has resented me for the last 800 years because of him. And she even refuses to get to know him. I'm sure if she did, she'd realise why I didn't choose the future they had in store for me."

I awkwardly patted his arm and he snorted.

"You tried." He winked at me and leaned back on the bench, sighing deeply. "I'll talk to Dawid by the way. I need to make sure you guys are... Safe."