Four

Picture// Roses
Song// Miracle Man Oliver Tree

My hands pat the ground around bright pink roses, sweat dripping from my brow on to the dirt below.

I sigh as a slight breeze blows through my dark curls, picking them up and rearranging the locks.

It seems like any free moment I have to myself, my thoughts are filled with my mate.

I hadn't seen him since last night and I'm embarrassed to say I miss his presence.

His calming caramel eyes and warm scent always relaxed me, no matter how stressed I was.

"Those look lovely, Riley." Mrs. Barkley smiles, handing me a glass of iced tea.

I dust my hands off, taking a long sip of the sweet tea.

"Thanks, I'm sorry about the last ones." I frown slightly at the older lady.

Mrs. Barkley has always been like a grandmother to me. When my mom first arrived here at the pack, Mrs. Barkley was automatically her favorite wolf.

They bonded over their love of reading and roses.

After I helped her plant the last ones, they had been completely destroyed by a couple of teenagers in the pack.

"It's no problem. Not everyone appreciates the beauty of a rose." She shrugs, her green eyes wrinkling with a smile.

I lightly smile back, standing up from my kneeled position.

"You're glowing today." Mrs. Barkley lifts a brow at me, a knowing look in her eyes.

Clearing my throat, I sip my tea.

It couldn't be denied that ever since West arrived I had seemed to come back to life.

I suppose he brought me hope; something that was dangerous and I knew would only hurt me in the end.

Alphas weren't meant to have good things for very long.

Being in power seemed nice on the outside; but no one realizes the sacrifices an Alpha makes- willingly or not.

"I'm just sweaty." I mutter simply.

Mrs. Barkley narrows her eyes playfully, dropping the subject but still looking as if she knew the truth.

"It's okay to want something for yourself, Riley." She pats my arm, making me swallow harshly.

"I know." I murmur, holding back a sigh.

My mates scent wafts into my senses, making my head turn on instinct towards him.

West walks along the dirt path, towards Mrs. Barkley's small cottage.

He's wearing an old pair of sneakers and a jean jacket, looking like a million bucks in borrowed clothing.

I furrow my brows at his presence, wondering if maybe the Moon Goddess heard me and decided to play on my side for a moment.

"Just sweat, huh?" Mrs. Barkley giggles, making the edges of my lips pull up.

"What are you doing here, human?" I question him as he approaches the small white gate boarding Mrs. Barkley's house.

He raises a brow, nodding towards Mrs. Barkley.

"Blondie said I could find you here." He shrugs, a smirk making its way on to his lips as he shoves his hands in his pockets.