Thirteen

Picture// Starry Sky
Song// Easily Bruno Major

Alex's arms hadn't loosened since we left Black Wolf; if anything, they had tightened considerably.

My wolf loved being this close to her mate for so long, and I couldn't disagree that the extra warmth was amazing.

Kody raced ahead of us, hollering as he flips over a snow cap.

I roll my eyes as I feel Alex rumble with laughter from behind me.

You're gonna get yourself killed, idiot. I said through the link, making Kody glance back and smirk at me.

The sky had darkened, the sun dipping behind the trees and the temperature dropping quickly.

I pulled off the trail and cut my engine, stretching out my hand from the hours of holding the throttle.

Alex's arms release my body, reluctantly.

"We can set up camp here tonight." I say to Alex as Kody parks next to us.

"Feeling warm now, buddy?" Kody laughs, quirking a brow at Alex.

I glance at my mate, inspecting him from head to toe. His lips were tinted the lightest blue, his cheeks beet red from the cold wind.

I click my tongue as I notice the smallest shiver from his shoulders.

Taking off my wool-lined coat, I hand it to him.

His caramel eyes looked humored at the exchange: a girl giving a much larger guy her jacket.

"Riley put that back on, I don't need it." Alex shakes his head, pushing the article of clothing closer to me.

I stubbornly hold it back towards him, "Your lips are blue, put it on."

He shakes his head. "No."

I narrow my eyes at my mate, who had nothing more than black jeans and a black sweatshirt as protection from the snowy weather.

"Okay, whilst you two argue over a jacket, I'm gonna go find a rabbit for dinner." Kody chuckles, walking into the dense forest.

I hold my mates gaze, "Fine, at least help me make a fire then."

He smirks, making my blood boil. Sometimes he was just as stubborn and proud as I was; and that is not a good thing.

Being stubborn and proud are the makings of a great Alpha My wolf hums, giggling when I grimace at her mentally.

Alex and I work together to gather fire wood and kindling. I don't overlook how much firewood my mate can carry at once; it was quite impressive.

"Is this enough?" He asks, dropping the wood in a pile.

I shrug, "Yeah, looks fine."

He stares at me from over the fire, an intense look in his eyes.

I drop my gaze, striking the match against a rock and setting the wood ablaze.

Red flames shoot towards the sky, crackling and heating up the small space around it.

Sitting back on my butt, I bring my knees to my chest. Alex sighs, taking a seat next to me. I don't glance at him, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry for shouting at you." He finally says, picking a string off of his jeans.

I swallow harshly. I should be the one saying sorry, but as per usual; I'm a dumbass.

"I took my anger out on you. It was my fault and I deserved to be shouted at." I shrug, smiling lightly.

Alex's eyes glint, a red glow from the fire.

"So tell me about this Blood Moon pack." He whispers, closer to my face than usual.

I swallow, "Uh, they are much more primitive than Black Wolf. Women have no place in the ranks, but they respect Black Wolf enough to not question my title to my face."

Alex furrows his brows.

"Do they hate humans as much as that one Alpha?" Alex asks, tighten his fists slightly.

I don't even notice what I'm doing, before I reach into his lap and grab his balled fist.

"They are ignorant, Alex." I sighed.

My fingers gently unclench his, making his shoulders relax slightly at my touch.

"Ignorant, but dangerous. I know the Fangs conspired with at least one another pack to kill my mother." I grit out, clenching my jaw tightly.

"You think Blood Moon helped the Fangs?" Alex tilts his head, weaving his hand through mine and squeezing it.

I frown at our hands.

"Yeah, I do. That's why it is highly dangerous bringing you here." I ignore the sinking feeling in my chest that something would happen to Alex.

He sighs, scooting closer to me.

"Remember what I said: I may be a human, but I am your mate first- I protect you at any cost." He says seriously, looking into my fiery eyes with passion and honesty.

"It's not me who needs the protection right now." I smile sadly, leaning my head against his shoulder.

It felt nice to act like a normal couple, even though we were far from it and in impending danger.

But I couldn't help feeling like I didn't really know Alex. I know he lived in a boys home after his parents died, didn't have any siblings, liked take-out Chinese food and loved video games.

I observed that he was a kind soul but never let anyone walk over him. He was strong too; physically and mentally strong.

I also observed that I had fallen head-over-heels for Alex West and it was the most terrifying, yet exciting thing I had ever felt.

"Alright kids, who is ready for rabbit feet and forest berries?" Kody says sarcastically, making me roll my eyes as he smirks at me.

"I've never had, uh...rabbit feet." Alex tries to keep the disgust off his face, but fails.

Kody snorts, skinning the rabbit.

"Just imagine you're eating chicken." I chuckle, tightening my hold on his hand.

Kody glances at our hands and then my face with a quirked brow. I give him an 'I will tell you later' look.

He rolls his eyes, and begins roasting the rabbit over the fire.