Seven

Picture// Riley Black
Song// Falling Trevor Daniel

Ninety-six hours.

I have been awake for ninety-six hours, with a short nap yesterday that was disturbed by my dying fathers face.

Staring at the oak top desk, I feel myself go numb to everything. I had let my pack down and I could never forgive myself for that little girls death.

My birth-right as Alpha brought a lot of responsibility with it. Sometimes it felt like I wasn't worthy enough to even call myself an Alpha.

I tried my hardest to keep my pack happy and safe. Black Wolf was wealthy, highly populated, and covered more territory than any other pack in the western part of America.

Too bad it was being run by a bullshit Alpha.

My leg was sore, but had mostly healed up from the fight. I enjoyed the pain- I deserved to hurt.

A knock at my door makes me lift my gaze from my desk. Kody walks in through the doors, looking as tired as I was.

He settles in a chair, running a hand through his dirty blonde hair.

I hadn't washed my hair in days, and it had gotten very frizzy after swimming yesterday.

The swimming hole felt like ages ago.

"Riley, it wasn't your fault." Kody starts, making me sigh and lean back in my leather chair.

"What are you talking about?" I rub my eyes tiredly.

He tilts his head with a raised brow.

"You're my best friend, you think you can pull shit over on me?" He scoffs.

I shrug.

"I know you're taking responsibility for Tom's kid." He shakes his head, his brown eyes filling with pity.

I swallow harshly.

"I also know that the human is your mate." He all but mumbles, making my eyes widen.

"What?" I choke.

He chuckles lightly, "I know everything."

I sigh heavily, banging my head on my desk.

"Fuck."

He laughs, patting my arm from across the desk.

I hadn't seen West since last night, where he had seen some gory things.

I asked Kody to check up on him last night, but he said he was fine.

Humans weren't used to seeing this much blood, I wondered if West was really fine.

"That's why you sent him to find me yesterday." I state.

Kodys eyes fill with humor, confirming my thoughts.

"I wasn't completely sure he was your mate. Then I saw him carrying you back, and I knew for sure." He explains, making me raise a brow.