Twenty

Picture// The Cave
Song// XO John Mayer

Without the use of the four wheelers, the journey back to Black Wolf was long and torturous.

Alex had yet to let me down, despite the twenty miles of freezing, rough terrain we have already crossed.

Kody and his mate- Casper walked ahead of us, talking in hushed voice the entire time.

I liked seeing Kody with his mate. He was so caring and gentle, making sure Casper was safe and warm at all times. It made me happy to see my best friend so content- despite the situation at hand.

Alex and I kept our talking to a minimum, obviously both of us were too in our own heads to speak out loud.

I could tell he had a lot of questions about himself, especially now that he has turned into a four-legged creature.

I wanted nothing more than to quiet his worries, but I didn't even know the answers myself.

Usually wolves turn at the age of sixteen, not a day later than their birthday. It was simply odd that his wolf had lied dormant for two and a half years.

Maybe the Elders would know more about that subject. That would be the first place we go when we return to Black Wolf- right after a hot shower and a long nap- of course.

We had been missing for approximately two days past the date in which we were supposed to return.

I know Tom had noticed our late arrival- my only hope is that we run into Black Wolf warriors sooner than later.

Alpha Martinez letting us go freely was not a mistake, he wasn't done with us and I saw it in his smirk.

It made me paranoid, and I constantly looked back over Alex's shoulder checking our surroundings.

"Relax, I can feel your stress through the bond." Alex whispers in my ear, his hot breath fanning the hair on my neck.

I shiver at the feeling, clutching his warm body tighter.

It was obvious that he was loving the fact that he didn't have to wear a shirt in the snow and still be warm.

That is one perk of being a wolf, a built in heater.

"That's my line." I smirk lightly, not used to him feeling the werewolf part of the bond.

He chuckles lightly, the sound quickly becoming my favorite thing in the world.

"There's a new wolf in town, Alpha." He grins down at me, making me smile and shake my head.

Alex never failed to make me happy, even now when my entire body was in pain.

My own wolf had yet to come back, the pain and separation tearing our bond slightly.

Kody couldn't reach his either, so I wasn't too concerned about it. But I longed for her annoying voice to pop back up in my brain.

I missed her.

"Let's settle in here for tonight." Alex says, motioning towards a small cave that was tucked behind foliage.

Everyone nods in agreement, following the new Alphas orders.

"We only have thirty more miles to go tomorrow, so let's rest up." Kody says, helping his tiny mate climb over a rock.

I hadn't talked much to Casper, not that I have had time too. But from observing him, I noticed that he seemed very shy and timid.

The perfect match for my loud, rambunctious best friend.

As we slide into the dark cave, Alex sets me down on the dirt floor carefully. The pain in my body doubles, flashes of pain radiating down my body.

My eye wasn't as swollen as it was a few hours ago, but it still hurt too much to open it so I kept it closed tightly.

"Not too bad." Alex sighs, placing his hands on his hips as he looks around the small cave.

Casper timidly takes a seat next to me, a small smile on his face. He extends a water bottle towards me, and I take it graciously.

"Thanks." I say, gulping down a few sips before throwing it towards my mate.

I scan his body as he empties the bottle into his mouth. He seemed much more muscular than before his change, which made me a little tingly

Adverting my eyes, I lean back against the cave wall. My body had been through a lot- not enough to kill me- but enough to make me sore as hell.

Kody places himself next to his mate, placing his arm around the small blonde boy.

"Casper, why would Martinez let us go so easily." I ask out of the blue, needing to know some answers.

Casper's blue eyes meet mine, a troubled look in them.

"I don't know honestly. When I stole the keys from a guard, I could tell he wasn't fully asleep- but he didn't make a move to stop me." He explains, looking towards his hands which were taken into Kodys.

Alex places himself by me, allowing my to lean my body on something more comfortable. He runs soothing circles into my side where my ripped shirt has risen up.

I ignore the tingles, and continue to stare at Casper.

"Why would he do that? He seemed hell bent on killing Alex." I shake my head, the reasoning not making any sense.

"I don't know. Alpha is a mean man, but I've never seen him let a prisoner go so easily." Casper bites his lip, trying to decode the Alphas actions as well.

"Maybe he's playing with us. Letting us have a taste of freedom before capturing us again." Kody states, his jaw ticking.

Martinez wouldn't have a hard time recapturing is- seeing as how he has an entire pack on his side.

I couldn't fight, and I knew that. My human form was weak and bruised up, while my wolf couldn't even contact me.

It would be Alex, Kody, and maybe Casper against over a thousand wolves.

There was simply no way to victory.

"He can't be working alone, if that's the case. He may be strong- but he's not that smart." I shake my head, leaning into my mate more for comfort.

Kody nods, picking at his jeans in concentration.

"I'm just glad to be away from him." Casper shrugs, sighing at his shoes.

I furrowed my brows at the boy.

"Why is that?" I questioned.

His sad blue eyes looked at me under thick lashes. I felt bad for the kid, he obviously has been through a lot.

"I'm an Omega, and my p-pack hates Omegas." He whispers.

Kody growls lowly, clutching his mate tighter to his body. I frowned at Casper.

Black Wolf didn't share those ideals about Omegas. We treated them with respect and kindness.

My father used to say that a pack is only as strong as the weakest Omega.

"I'm sorry. I think you'll find Black Wolf a lot more accepting." I smiled at him, to which he smiled back shyly.

Alex kisses the top of my head, "They took me in."

I roll my eyes at him, "We didn't take you, you trespassed."

He scoffs, "That was the best day of your life, my little wolf."

I chuckle, Kody rolling his eyes with a smile and Casper grinning at us.

It really was the best day of my life.