Six

Picture// Riley's Wolf
Song// R.I.P 2 My Youth The Neighbourhood

The rogue strikes first, barely nipping my throat as I block him.

He growls lowly, circling me like his prey.

West stands wide-eyed behind me, not making a sound as he watches.

I decided I was annoyed with this fucking rogue, who had ruined one of the best days I have had in years.

So I allow my wolf to take control, lunging for the mangy wolf and ripping his throat out before he could even yelp.

Blood fills my mouth, and my wolf relishes in the taste.

"Alpha! Behind you!" West screams at me, making me drop the lifeless wolf right as a sharp pain sinks into my right leg.

I howl loudly, my eyes landing on another rogue who had snuck up behind me.

My eyes flick to red, an overwhelming sense of fury taking over my body.

I shake my leg loose, pushing the wolf to the ground and pinning him. Growling in his face deeply, I watch the life fade from his eyes as I rip out his heart with my claws.

As his body goes limp, my wolf breaths heavily, trying to ignore the pain in my hind leg.

West's mouth hangs open, his brown eyes taking in the scene in front of him.

Humans are much more emotional than wolves. The human race puts their criminals in jail; wolves kills them on the spot.

No trial, no prison. Just death and more death. It's a dark prospective, but we are wild animals at heart. Mercy was something that was never taught when it came to rogues.

"You're bleeding." West says, his eyes focusing on my right leg.

I ignore the flares of pain. If this rogue was infected with something, Ill bring him back to life and then kill him again.

Riley, a few more wolves infiltrated the training fields. Kody states through the link.

I clench my jaw, wondering how these animals passed through our security.

We killed them...but Kody cuts off.

Furrowing my brows I force myself to calm down.

But what, Kody? I growl back.

They got to Tom's daughter He sighs, making my heart drop into my stomach.

I wanted to curl up and die. I had let myself go for only and hour and this was the result.

Love wasn't meant for Alphas. I couldn't afford to direct my attention to anything other than my pack.

I shift back into my human form, not caring about my nudity in front of West.

"Here." He says quietly, handing me his white t-shirt while adverting his eyes politely.

Shakily, I take the soft cotton from him and drape it over my body.

"Thanks." I mutter, swallowing harshly.

I hadn't properly done my job, and now a kid was dead because of me.

This isn't our fault. My wolf soothes me, but it went in one ear and out the other.

"You're bleeding pretty badly." West says, examining my hurt leg.

I enjoyed the pain; I deserved it.

"I'm fine." I grumble, starting off back towards the pack house.

We step over the dead rogues, West staring at their faces as we trek back towards my pack.

The pain in my leg decides to make itself known, making me stumble over myself.

Warm hands steady me, West's worried caramel eyes flickering to mine. He straightens me out with a frown.

"Let me carry you." He blurts, making my eyes widen slightly.

"No, I'm fine." I shake my head, attempting to walk before stumbling again.

West sighs, placing his hands under my legs and back and scooping me up like a toddler.

"I said I'm fine." I huff, struggling in his arms.

"Stop." He demands, making me settle down in his warm arms.

It was probably a funny sight, seeing a lamb carrying the lion back to safety.

"Why did they attack you?" He questions quietly, his eyes set on the trail in front of us.

I swallow, "They're heartless animals."

His brows furrow heavily over his caramel eyes.

We remain silent, a pulsing pain spreading from my leg to my foot as the pack house comes into view.

A large crowd of wolves stand outside the pack house, all staring down towards the ground.

I pat West's arm, telling him to set me down silently.

As soon as my feet make contact with the grass, I limp over to the crowd who were now looking at me with somber faces.

It wasn't until I moved a few feet closer that I saw the small, lifeless body of a girl on the ground.

Her blue eyes were open, but held no life. The once pink lips were now blue, a streak of blood covering her throat.

Tom and his mate stood huddled together, crying their eyes out for the tiny wolf.

I bite my lip, urging myself to go emotionless. It was the only way I could make it through times like this.

"Everyone inside, Beta Kody and I will brief you all in the morning." I say in a hollow voice.

My pack nods towards me, Kody walking next to me with a frown. I could feel West standing closely behind me as well.

Tom and his mate look towards me once the pack cleared into the house.

I didn't want to say sorry to them. I had heard 'sorry' too much in my life and I knew it never helped. The word held no meaning, just a bland courtesy.

So I didn't say anything. I stared them in the eyes, feeling their pain as if it was my own.

I had let them down. I had let the entire pack down, because I was off playing mates with West.

It was a stupid fantasy to think I could ever be normal. My father tried it and look where he ended up.

I wouldn't leave Jude here alone in this cold world.

Nodding towards Tom, I bow my head in respect of his loss. It meant a lot when an Alpha bowed.

He bowed back, his wife sniffling into his chest.

Take her body to the doctor. Don't bother me for the rest of the night. I growl out to Kody, who silently nods.

Turning around stiffly, I make my way towards my safe haven.