I promise

Published 9/9/19

I felt the flames lick at my heels as I raced through them. Jumping and dodging flames and falling pieces of flaming wood.

I spotted a small area that had less flames. I raced down the path shooting out of flames and smoke.

I slowed down taking in deep breaths of fresh air feeling the strain on my lungs from breathing in the smoke.

I froze hearing wood starting to snap. I looked up at home tree as it started to lean and snap.

My eyes shot to the ground and area of where hometree was falling to see, frantic omaticaya running and screaming in fear.

"RUN TO THE SIDE! MOVE! YOU NEED TO MOVE! RUN TO THE SIDES!" I screamed out.

I wanted to so desperately run to them but with imani and T'challa with me, I couldn't risk it.

I watched in horror as hometree collapsed to the ground crushing everything and everyone underneath it.

Tears poored down my face hearing the horror filled screams.

I clutched T'challa to my chest refusing to let him look at the horror that just happened.

Imani had her face burried into my neck. Not wishing to see, her fellow tribe mates crushed. I looked up at the air crafts. My eyes locking onto the biggest one. The one I knew that monster of a man was in.
I let out a snarl like growl. My chest vibrating in anger.

Tear of anger and saddness ran down my face.

I watched as the air craft turned around and returned in the direction they came in.

I gently lowered imani to the ground. I turned to her to see tears streaming down her face. Sobs racking her small body, looking down to T'challa I saw he was the same way. Clinging to me as if I would disappear any moment.

I brought imani to my chest in a tight hug. She wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug sobbing into my chest.

I softly ran my fingers through her hair.

"It's gonna be alright, everything is gonna be ok" I whispered reassuringly.

The air was filled with the sad cries of the omaticaya. Cries for the loss of their families, cries for the loss of their home.

I picked imani up into my right arm. Her arms wrapped around my neck hiding her face in my neck. While I held T'challa in my left arm. Him clinging onto my clothes.

I slowly made my way over to where the surviving omaticaya were gathering. I handed imani and T'challa over to a woman.

"I'll be right back you two, ok. I have to go help the others. Please behave for me" I told them.

"You promise you'll come back right?, your not gonna leave right?" t'challa begged his voice wavered slightly. I smiled at him.

I leaned over and kissed his forehead head gently.

"I promise I'll come back, you two can't get rid of me that easily" I smirked slight at them. In return they gave me small smiles. Their tears slowly coming to stop.

I leaned over to Imani and kissed her forehead. "Watch your brother for me while I'm gone" I told her. She nodded at me with a sad smile.

I looked up at the woman behind them "please take care of them for me" I begged slightly. She nodded with a sad smile. Her eyes red from crying.

"I promise" she stated. I nodded and looked down as the two siblings one last time with a smile before turning around. Heading in the direction of where home tree fell, going to help the omaticaya find as many survivors and sadly bodies as they could.