Chapter 2

Unsurprisingly, the healer was a complete bust. She repeated the same thing as all of the others: that it was impossible for me to have pups because it went against the natural cycle of life, and the Moon Goddess would never permit someone to cheat the system. I swear if I ever got my hands on that Moon-Bitch, I would beat the hell out of her, mystical being or not.

Cain tried to lift my spirits, and as always, swore that whether I could bear children or not, he would remain my mate.

What a crap situation. I never wanted pups, until I realized I couldn't have any. Whatever loser came up with the phrase "you always want what you can't have" may not have been that off base.

Instead of focusing on my inability to start a family, I decided to focus on my favorite pastime: punching the absolute shit out of people.

When Cain and I completed the Blood Ceremony, a huge influx of strength went into me. The Blood Lake elders hypothesized that because I have Alpha blood in me from Wilson and my mother, once I became the Alpha Female, it activated more of my Alpha senses and abilities.

The new strength was incredibly fun, I had to admit. I was getting more and more hits on Cain every time we sparred, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if one of these times I would be able to best him.

I still was able to kick Axel's ass, but since he became Beta once Gwen killed Jax, he also got stronger. It made fighting him all the more interesting.

"Hello? Earth to Ares? You ready for this ass-whooping or what?" Axel's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I had come down to the training center for an emergency fighting session. Every time after a healer told me the bad news, Axel was always there to be my punching bag, but just one that hits back. What a great friend.

I snorted. When have you ever been able to whoop my ass, pup?

Axel smirked. "Just last week when I punched you so hard in the side of the head, you got a 3 inch welt. Totally worth Alpha Cain almost whipping me into oblivion."

I laughed at the memory. Cain was so angry when he saw the thick bump he nearly shifted on sight. Luckily, I had become quite skilled in the art of distracting Cain. Sigh. Men are so simple.

And somehow, you still didn't knock me out, I taunted him as I cracked my knuckles. Even though I knew I would win, Axel always was improving on his fighting skills, and made sparring interesting. Sometimes he was even able to hurt me pretty decently, which was a welcome distraction from the internal pain I felt over my infertility.

"You guys are being pussies. Start punching each other already; I'm bored," Gwen whined as she ate a handful of popcorn and washed it down with an unknown alcoholic liquid in the flask she always carried around.

"Oh yeah, Gwendolyn? If you're so bored why don't you come down here and fight me yourself?" Axel wickedly grinned at the fiery redhead with an attitude.

"First of all, I already had my training session this morning, which sucked and left me with a huge bruise on my thigh. And secondly, I'm about two flasks deep in vodka and if I try fighting someone, I'm going to get popcorn and vodka slush all over the ground, and the last time that happened, Cain made me clean it up as a punishment," Gwen pouted, already tipsy I was sure.

For someone who had lost their best friend and their mate within the same month, she seemed to be doing okay. I didn't necessarily see a problem with her drinking herself to sleep every night, even though Cain disagreed.

"Oh a bruise? You poor thing. Hopefully you'll survive. What do you think, Ares? Do you think the little princess can survive a bruise?" Axel jested at Gwen.