Chapter 54

I am belligerently drunk.
You know what that means.
#DoubleUpdateBitches

It feels like someone pulled the rug out from beneath my feet.

I shake my head slowly. "No... No, you're wrong!" I hiss, my body filled with anger.

He was wrong, he had to be wrong. Cain is my mate. I love him, more than I have loved anyone. The only person I truly love.

Helios looks sad as he speaks. "I'm sorry, young one. I know this is hard to accept."

"How?" I spit out venomously. "How is that possible?"

Helios sighs. "As previously mentioned, Selene was infuriated after losing the bet. Even after she trapped me, her anger did not subside, and I was not the only one who suffered from her wrath. She felt betrayed by Lucille, and punished her descendants. All of Lucille's descendants were cursed with two mates. One for their human side, one for their wolf. Thane is your true mate, because he is the mate that shares your human soul."

I shake my head again. "That's... not possible..." I don't know what to say, I refuse to believe it. "Thane already has a mate! Onyx is his mate."

Helios sighs again. "When Selene decided to curse Lucille's bloodline, she set off a series of events that she did not anticipate. Think of it as a series of intricately woven threads. When one unravels, there are others affected. By splitting the human and wolf soul, she accidentally created duplicate mates. Not everyone was affected by this, and most wolves are with their true mates, and only have one. Cain is your wolf side's mate, Thane is your human mate, the true mate. Onyx is Thane's mate for his wolf side, not his true mate, which is why they didn't work out. You may be interested to know that Onyx is already in love with her true mate."

"I am not interested in knowing that," I grind my teeth. "Who the fuck is Cain's true mate, if it's not me?"

"Cain of Blood Lake doesn't have a true mate," Helios answers, and I exhale in relief. Not that it really mattered, I would have killed her anyways.

"The true mate is based on a werewolf's human soul. Cain doesn't have a human soul. Remember how I said that Selene favored Blood Lake? She increased the Blood Alpha's wolf side to the point where they didn't have a human soul to match. Haven't you had that thought to yourself many times, young one? That Cain of Blood Lake is more wolf than human?" He asks, cocking his head to the side.

"But... The dreams. Why am I having them? Why are there sparks with Thane too?" I demand.

Helios smirks. "It all comes back to the knife. When a child of Lucille kills with the dagger, it serves as a sacrifice to me, and increases my strength. Not enough to get me out of the dagger but enough for me to regain some of the abilities I lost. Like projection," He gestures to himself. "And showing you alternate realities."

"Alternate realities," I repeat.

He nods. "The dreams you and Thane have are visions of what would have happened if I was in control of the mating process, and you were to be with your true mate. You would have fallen in love, had many pups, and lived happily ever after."

My stomach turns. "Why can't I have pups with Cain?"

Helios glances to my stomach. "Because I made it so that you couldn't."

I freeze. "What the fuck did you just say?"

"Ares, Cain is not your true mate! You are destined to be with Thane. After enough kills with the knife, I had enough power to control your fertility. You cannot be with Cain of Blood Lake. With Thane, you will become the best version of yourself. You and Thane will cancel each other's bloodlust, and you will no longer possess the need to kill. With Thane, you will know true love. With Thane, Blue Moon and the continent will flourish," He explains.