Chapter 41

It's Monday. 

"Okay, I spy with my little eye something red," Zach says as his hand tightens on the wheel.

"I'll make your little eye red if you keep trying to get us to play dumb road trip games," I threaten, and Zach laughs, unbothered.

"Correct answer was the stop sign. Seriously, Luna, how did you miss that?" He asks, and I roll my eyes.

I fucking hate having to sit in a car for a long period of time, my wolf itching to be let out and run. Cain's hand reaches out, his thumb rubbing circles on my thigh.

Relax, pup, He mindlinks me. Why can I feel anxiety through our bond?

I sigh. Just anxious about seeing some of the other packs, I guess. Thane, in particular.

Is this about Sebastian? I told you already that they excused him from attending due to all of the Red Crescent issues, Cain frowned.

Yeah, something like that, I lied, not wanting to go into an in-depth conversations about weird dreams I was having of his cousin.

Go to sleep, Cain commanded, and must have been able to see that I was about to protest, because he said, We have a few more hours left in the trip. Just go to sleep for a little bit, the last thing we need is for you to go into a house of wolves on edge.

He wasn't wrong. I already have a proclivity towards violence, and it was even worse when I was sleep deprived.

But there was a chance that I could have another dream. What if I said something about Thane? Something incriminating? Cain never mentioned that I talked in my sleep, but there was a first time for everything.

So I nodded, and told him I would try, and even shut my eyes, but fought sleep in fear of another dream.

I thought about different ways I would rip Onyx apart to keep me awake, but even I grew tired of that after the seventeenth fantasy.

All I could think when I began slipping into unconsciousness was dear God, don't let me dream of Thane.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Do you like it?" He asked, his hand resting on my lower back.

My mouth dropped open. "Are you kidding? I love it!"

I was confused when, for our date, Thane guided us to the training center. I thought for sure he would try to rope me into some kind of corny dinner date with candles and roses, and I positively would have vomited.

Instead, he set up the training center with different target dummies, even with some targets attached to some kind of swinging device so the bullseye was in motion, harder to hit than a stationary one.

He grinned at my response, and I could see... relief in his eyes. "I... I didn't think you much would have liked dinner and a movie. Thought this would be more to your liking."

I couldn't deny that I was impressed by his efforts. That we seemed to have... an understanding of sorts. He understood that my affection could not be bought with flowers and chocolate, but with knives and arrows.

"Well don't just stand there. These targets aren't going to destroy themselves," Thane smiled, a twinkle in his eye with an emotion I didn't recognize. I gulped, not daring to think about what it meant.

I summoned a bow and arrow, taking shots at the miscellaneous targets. I had to admit, I was having fun. Something I didn't know existed outside of killing rogues or beating the shit out of wolves during training.