Chapter 44

Won't be able to post tomorrow so here's the update now. Any problems with that, take it up with management (I am management and I do not care).

Lethal chapter as per popular demand:

"What does it say?" Gwen asks as soon as I hand her the envelope and tell her it's from Leo.

I roll my eyes. "Did your ability to read suddenly escape you?"

She scowls. "I just assumed you or Cain snooped and already read it."

I smirk. "He wanted to, I stopped him."

"Ares," Cain said warningly from his spot on the couch.

Oops, forgot he was there. I sigh, "Okay fine, I wanted to and he stopped me."

Gwen snorts as she tears open the envelope. "Now that, I believe."

Her breath hitches as she reads the writing on the paper. "What does it say?" I ask as I try peering over the edge of the paper to read it.

She abruptly presses the letter to her chest, concealing the words. "Nothing," Gwen says quickly.

Groaning, I say, "Come on, Gwen! You get a mysterious letter from your Blue Moon lover and you're not even going to tell me anything about it?"

Gwen's eyes sparkle in mischief. "Okay, Luna. If you really want to know, he just wanted to remind me of the last night we spent together in Blue Moon. In particular, wanted to remind me of when he got on top and-"

"Okay, Gwendolyn," Cain interjects, his face stoic as always. "I think we get the gist, thank you."

Gwen smirks at me. "That's what I thought. Anyways, I have to go, um, annoy Axel or something. See you later!"

She all but races out of the Pack House. My eyebrows raise to my hairline. "Is it just me or is she acting weirder than usual?" I ask Cain, who got up off of the couch and crossed the room to take me in his arms.

He laughs, nuzzling his face into my neck. "Hard to say, pup. She's always weird."

Cain's charcoal eyes suddenly gloss over, like he's mind-linking someone. "What happened?" I ask, instantly alert. "Was there another attack?"

"No, nothing like that," He says, kissing my forehead. "I have to go, I'll be back in less than an hour."

I frown. "I'll come with you."

He looks panicked at this. "No, don't," He says quickly. "You've had a long day traveling, you should go to bed. Zach and Lucas will be here soon to guard you."

Cain turns to leave, but I grab his wrist. "Cain, where are you going?" I ask in confusion. If no one was attacked, I'm not sure why he's insisting that I stay here.

"Please just stay here, Ares," Cain requests, at least, I interpret it as a request though he probably views it as more of an order. "I promise there wasn't another attack and nothing is wrong. There's just somewhere I have to go, alone."

My eyes narrow. "Fine," I say through clenched teeth. "But you're telling me where you went once you get back."

He nods, relieved that I agree to stay put for the time being. "Thank you, pup," Cain says, kissing me before he leaves.

Shortly after his departure, true to his word, Lucas and Zach arrive.

"Before you throw any knives," Zach starts as soon as he walks through the door, "You should know that my mate will be very displeased with you if I return injured."