Chapter 36

Three people offered to sacrifice their brothers for another update so as promised....
(For legal reasons, this is a joke)

Ares, get back to the Pack House NOW, I hear Cain's voice through our mindlink, and can feel his anxiety through our bond.

What's going on? I ask, and Axel must have received a mindlink from Cain too, because he transforms his arm and fist into metal and scans our surroundings intensely.

Phillip was found dead by the guard who was supposed to replace his post for border patrol, he responds. Phillip was a relatively strong pack member, one of the top warriors we have. Whoever killed him had to have been exceptionally strong in order to subdue him. We are working on securing the border right now to see if whoever killed him is still around. Go back to the pack house NOW.

No, I respond indignantly as Axel and I head back to the territory. I'm going to help you secure the border.

No, Ares! Cain bellows, and I can feel his anger burning our bond hot. Whoever killed him was strong enough to tear him limb from limb. He's dangerous. You are going to go directly to the pack house and wait for me to return.

I can't help the laugh that escapes me, and Axel looks at me curiously, but then goes back to intensely checking our surroundings as we walk back. Good luck with that, Alpha. Let me know how that works out for you.

Ares, go home, he says, and uses an Alpha command.

Snorting, I respond, I'm an Alpha, Cain. That bullshit doesn't work on me anymore. Now make this easy on both of us and tell me where you are.

Go. Home, He says sternly and I ignore him. Fine, so that's how it's going to be.

I mindlink Zach, Where was Phil found?

He immediately responds, Near the northeast checkpoint, why didn't you just ask Alpha Cain? I don't answer, and Zach releases a string of swear words before saying, Dammit, Luna.

Don't worry, I respond. I won't tell him who told me.

Thank you, Luna, He says in relief, and adds after a moment, Be careful.

"Um, Luna, the pack house is this way," Axel calls out when I start heading east.

"I'm not going to the pack house, Beta," I say, challenging him to question my authority.

Axel groans. "Seriously? Just go back to the pack house with me and we can both stay on Cain's good side."

I can't help but chuckle. "I've been on Cain's bad side since I met him."

Sighing, Axel follows me as we change direction. "I was there, you know. When you met Cain."

I tried to recall who all accompanied Cain on the trip, but I could only remember the rage I felt that day. "Hmm. How soon did you realize that you were going to have your hands full babysitting me?"

Axel snorted. "I'm not a babysitter," He pauses before answering. "As soon as I saw you throw two knives at the strongest Alpha on the continent without hesitating."

"You don't happen to remember if they ended up impaling him, do you?" I ask curiously.

He rolls his eyes. "One managed to scrape his shoulder. Think he was too in shock to comprehend what was going on."

"Nice," I say with a grin. It wasn't much, but it would do.

"It was also at that time," Axel said after a moment. "That I realized how perfect you are for him."