Chapter 63

Hey guys, for everyone wondering, I had my last surgery yesterday! Will be in recovery for two weeks but finally I'm done getting sliced up lulz. Enjoy the update (you probably won't).

I throw the note on the table. "The little snake bitch double crossed us," I hiss, my body shaking in rage as I imagine ripping the head off that fucking Seer.

Killian reads the note, frowning as he does so. "I don't get it."

He hands the note to Thane, who also reads it with a puzzled expression. "Cain is gone?" He asks, and for the first time, Thane's typically bored expression is marred with worry.

I nod. "I went to track him after... after Katrina talked to the two of you," I say to Thane. Killian didn't need to know the details of what she told them. "I found the note. The Seer-Bitch... She told Cain everything so he would get mad and stray far from the territory so her fucking partners in crime could steal him."

Killian's head cocks to the side slightly. "Katrina wouldn't work with the Moon Goddess."

I snort. "Seriously, Killian? I don't know what the hell kind of trance the little witch put you under but-"

"Don't," He warns, his voice uncharacteristically dark. "Don't ever talk about her like that. I'm telling you: She wouldn't do this for no reason."

"You don't even know her!" I yell, my eyes blazing. "Don't you dare tell me what she would or wouldn't do. She only told Cain so that he would get mad enough to leave, so she could blackmail me into not killing Selene. Unless you know some part of her plan that I'm not privy to?"

He gives me a blank stare.

"That's what I thought," I sigh, sitting back in Cain's chair. "Here's what I say we should do: Destroy Iron Claw and then go after Selene, with enough time left to spare to save Cain."

Thane looks at me in bewilderment. "Ares, you can't seriously be suggesting going to war without Cain."

I shrug. "Why not? I know we can decimate them easily. It'll happen even easier with me out on the field."

Killian thoughtfully says, "I agree. I think we can slaughter them easily, with or without Cain. We'll have enough time before the eclipse."

"You're taking a lot of risks," Thane warns. "To assume that you'll have enough time to kill Selene and still find Cain."

I shrug. "It's our only option. Now, will you both back me in battle or not?"

Killian grins. "It'll be a great pleasure to see you in action, Ares."

Thane sighs, rubbing his temples. "This is borderline suicidal," He mutters. "But I'm in. For Cain, for the future of Blood Lake."

I exhale in relief. "Then we should go get some sleep. Tomorrow, we go to war. And we take no survivors."

***

We stare at Blood Lake for a few moments.

Finally, Killian speaks. "So the knife, the destroyer of a God, is somewhere down in there?"

I nod. "Whatever magic Selene used to protect Blood Lake is also stopping me from summoning it."

Last night, once I went to bed, I tried to summon Helios' cursed dagger, but failed. The only explanation was that Selene was blocking my Gift in a desperate attempt to stop her own assassination.

Coward.

"So, what's the plan?" Killian asked, the circles under his eyes dark. He must have gotten just about as much sleep as I had last night. We woke up at the crack of dawn to prepare for war.