Chapter 32

Light pours into the room, and I stretch, surprised to see Cain still in bed. Usually, he was gone by the time I woke up, always eager to start the day, even more so than I.

"Why the surprise, pup?" Cain asks, his eyes still closed, and I realized that I hadn't been blocking my emotions from the bond. "I told you that we would spend the next few days together."

I roll my eyes. "Yay. Can't wait to be locked up for the next 48 hours."

"Is it such a bad thing to have to spend time with your mate?" He nuzzles into my neck and I scowl.

"I feel like a grounded child," I pout. "Can we at least fight or something? I'm already bored."

Cain chuckles. "No, I already told you that I want you to take it easy. That includes no sparring, especially with me."

"So I can spar with someone else?" I counter, and Cain groans, putting the pillow over his face.

"This is going to be a long two days," He mutters, and I giggle, pleased I'm still able to get under his skin after all this time.

Cain gets out of bed, and stops me when I try to follow him. "You stay in bed, I'll bring you breakfast."

"I can walk to the kitchen," I scowl. "Surely that's not too taxing on me."

"Pup, please just let me take care of you, okay? My wolf needs it," Cain begs, and his sincerity sends pangs of guilt through my heart.

"Fine," I mumble, throwing the covers back over my face to block out the sunlight.

In about half an hour he returns with a tray packed with various breakfast items. "Wow, you went all out," I remark, slightly impressed.

Cain grins. "Anything for my sweet, gentle mate."

I snort. Sweet and gentle I certainly am not, though he would never agree with me on that. Have I lost my edge?

I point to the glass of orange juice. "I don't suppose you spiked that, did you?"

Cain rolls his eyes. "It's 9 in the morning, Ares."

"Is that a no?" I clarify, making him facepalm.

I shrug, and reach over into my bedside table, pulling out a bottle of vodka. Cain sighs as I drink half of the orange juice and replace the missing liquid with the alcohol.

"What?" I say defensively when I see the exasperated look on his face. "If I'm going to be on lockdown, I at least want to be drunk for it."

Rolling his eyes again, Cain begins cutting a pancake, holding the fork to my mouth. "There's actually something I want to talk to you about."

"Oh?" I raise my eyebrows, and he feeds me another piece of food.

"Nothing bad. At least, I don't think so," Cain says, his face pensive. "In two weeks, we have to attend the annual Mating Gathering in Crimson Shadow."

I groan. I forgot that once a year, all of the unmated wolves of 18 years or older attend the Mating Gathering, which is basically just a huge party held by a different pack every year, with the purpose of helping the unmated wolves find their mate. I was 17 during the last one, and had Cain not had found me shortly after I turned 18, I would have been forced to go, and undoubtably would have met him anyways. All unmated wolves of age were required to go by pack law, and the Alphas and Lunas also attended, typically accompanied by their Pack Leaders.

"Wait," I suddenly realize. "All of the Alphas and Lunas are required to go. That means..."

Cain sighs. "Yes, pup. I'm sure Thane and Onyx will be there."