Chapter 21

Upon arriving back at the Pack House, Thane excused himself to go take a shower and change, no doubt to conceal the fact from Onyx that he had just been out slaughtering rogues. I went into the kitchen, feeling slightly fatigued from not eating yet all day.

Axel, Gwen, and Onyx were sitting on the stools in front of the countertop, where there was piles of food already made. My nose wrinkled at the thought of consuming anything I would probably have to throw up later that night. I decided on my typical morning smoothie meant to increase my strength and health, which led me to picking out ingredients from the fridge.

"Isn't Thane with you?" Axel asked.

I was, he just went to change and shower I think, I answered, still rummaging through the fridge.

"Did he tell you about our shopping date?" Gwen asked in elation, and it made me scowl while taking the smoothie ingredients out of the fridge.

I think I'm sick, I say lamely, already knowing the excuse won't work on Gwen. Sorry, maybe we can go next week.

"One, you never get sick. Two, you know damn well I'm leaving in two days. Three- well, I don't have a third thing to say but you know how much I love shopping so if you take this away from me then I won't give you the present I brought for you!"

I raised an eyebrow as I continued making my food. What present?

"Well, I had a feeling you would try to ruin mine and Onyx's fun, so until you agree to go, I'm holding your mask hostage!" Gwen proudly stated.

You brought my mask? I said, and unfortunately, it was the perfect blackmailing method. I felt naked and exposed in the woods without it.

"Yes, and I can't believe you forgot it. It's mine until you go with us." I rolled my eyes at her, pouring the smoothie into a glass cup. 

"And I'm coming too," Axel added, glaring at Gwen.

"Aressssss," Gwen whined. "Tell him he's going to ruin girl time if he comes."

Children, they're both children, I thought to myself. I was trying to figure out how to not get in the middle of this when Thane rescued me.

"Beta, let the girls have their alone time. They'll be fine," Thane ordered as he strolled into the kitchen, his brown hair still wet.

Axel's mouth dropped. "Alpha, you've got to be kidding. This is how every Luna abduction story starts."

"You watch too many movies," Thane's mouth quirked to the side in amusement, "I am more than positive that Ares is capable of defending against any abductors, and they aren't even at risk of being abducted. They're going into a human town, it is unlikely they would even run into any werewolves besides ones already in the pack."

Axel just glared at the Alpha and left the kitchen without any more words of protest.

"Told you," Gwen said to Onyx in between bites of food. "Negative male energy."

I didn't know what her comment was about, but I did know that my behavior made Axel extremely on edge lately. I shrugged and told them with a scowl that I need to go get dressed in civilian clothing.

Gwen jumped off of her seat and followed me upstairs to my room. "Pleaseeeee let me do your hair! Oo, even better hair is and makeup!" She begged.

Absolutely not, I deadpanned, putting on an oversized hoodie and leggings. Gwen pouted and followed me into the bathroom, where I attempted to unknot my long platinum hair.

"You let me do it for the Blood Ceremony!" Gwen pointed out and I rolled my eyes. That was a one time thing.

"But-" Gwen started, and I shut her down. Aren't you ready to go? You slapping chemicals on my face would take forever, let's just get this over with, I grumbled.