Chapter 31

"Who's your Alpha?" Cain whispers into my ear, crushing me under the weight of his body as I'm pinned on my stomach. He places kisses along my neck, until he reaches his mark.

He teasingly grazes his canines along the mark, and chuckles lowly when goosebumps line my skin. "So easily excited, aren't you, pup?"

I moan softly, leaning into his touch, and I can tell that I have him wrapped around my finger.

His canines barely break through my skin when I hook my leg around his, and use all of my strength to flip us so that he's underneath me. He knows I caught him off guard, and I roughly pin down his arms until he's immobile. I smirk, allowing my canines to descend as I press my lips on my mark. "Who's your Alpha," I mockingly say, and he growls as I sink my teeth deep into him, none too gently.

I allow him to flip us so I'm on my back. "Cruel, beautiful mate," He says, his voice guttural. "You're lucky we have an appointment with the pack doctor to get to, otherwise you would be on your back for the rest of the day."

I grin wickedly. "Are you sure we can't reschedule?"

Cain growls, nipping at my ear before getting off of me, pulling me into his arms and cradling me to his chest as he does so. "This is our third time rescheduling. You're stalling."

I sigh, and his arms tighten around me as we leave the training center. "I'm just nervous. What if he says I'm not?"

Cain looks at me, and does a terrible job of masking his concern. "Then you're not, and we keep trying."

I nod, trying to quell my anxieties. For the past month, we had been trying to conceive, and for the last few days, I've been waking up nauseated. We scheduled an appointment with the pack doctor to see if I was with pup, and I couldn't tell if Cain or I was more nervous.

He told me that the nausea could be anything, and not to get my hopes up, but his words fell on deaf ears. Now that I was fully healed, there should be no reason why I wouldn't have gotten pregnant from our constant mating. Alphas never had problems conceiving with their mate, and now that the damage from the wolfsbane was gone, we should be no different from every other couple.

At least, that's what I hoped.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"I'm sorry, Luna," The pack doctor, Gabriel, mumbled when the ultrasound turned up nothing.

I nodded numbly, blinking back tears from the hospital table where I was laying. Cain squeezed my shoulder, but nothing he could do would comfort me.

"I... I don't get it," I whispered. "Is there something wrong with my womb?"

Gabriel winced. "No- at least the tests showed no visible damage. Everything seems like it is working properly."

Cain clutched my shaking hand. "This doesn't mean you're infertile, Ares. We've only been trying for a month, there's still plenty of time."

"A month is plenty of time. Alphas have no trouble conceiving," I spit out. Cain had also had tests run, which showed no problems on his end, either, which meant it had to be my fault.

"These things can take time, Luna," Gabriel said softly. "It's a good sign that there's no internal scarring. There's always a chance-"

I scoff. If it was going to happen, it would have by now. "Thank you, Gabriel," Cain interjects before venomous words pour from my mouth. "We'll show ourselves out."