Chapter 28

Song: Cradles by Sub Urban
I see the world through eyes covered in ink and bleach

"I hate you," I say to Thane as I blink my eyes open, seeing him sit in the chair next to my bed. Judging by the light pouring in through the windows, a day has gone by. A day that he has sedated me for.

"No you don't," Thane smirks. "You hate that I'm smarter than you."

I snort. "You took advantage of my trust. I'm hurt, Thane." I pout disingenuously.

Thane rolled his eyes. "Save the theatrics for Cain. We both know you were going to bolt as soon as I left. Don't you feel much better now after your rest?"

I did, not that I would ever admit it. I tore off the new bandage, and although the wound was still a nasty gash, the green ooze had subsided.

"Stop doing that," Thane said irately.

Rolling my eyes, I reach for the gauze on the table, re-bandaging the wound that still had blood seeping out slightly.

"You're good at that," Thane says in surprise.

"I've done it enough times," I mutter, getting off the bed, my legs wobbling slightly, but I'm able to support myself.

"Here," Thane said, holding out my cloak, which I pull on, concealing the wound. "I- um, washed it. It was... soaked in your blood." Thane winced and swallowed loudly.

I shrug indifferently. "It happens."

"I... didn't like seeing you like that. Helpless," Thane whispered, looking down. I was surprised by the emotion on his face, usually he wore a mask of apathetic boredom.

"Don't tell me you're getting soft too," I warn Thane. "One overly protective Alpha is bad enough."

Thane rolled his eyes and muttered as we walked out of the care center, "I liked you better when you couldn't talk."

I snort. "I liked you better when you didn't care about me."

Thane halts. "Don't say that, Ares. You know you're one of my closest friends, of course I've always cared for you."

"Relax, dude. It was a joke. That's what we do, remember?" I roll my eyes, surprised that out of all things I tease him for, was what got a rise out of him.

We walked back to the pack house in silence. As we step through the doorway, I see Onyx sitting on the couch, clutching a pillow, and Lucas sitting on the floor, his hair braided down the middle.

I'm about to tease him when Onyx's eyes pop out of her head and she exhales, "You've got to be kidding me."

She throws the pillow to the side, heading for the stairs. I'm surprised by the jealousy radiating from her body. "Onyx," Thane starts to say as he takes a step towards her, but she avoids him.

I take a step in front of her. "Onyx, please don't be upset. Thane and I were just-"

Onyx's cruel tone makes me freeze in shock, I barely recognize it as her voice. "No offense, Luna, but you are the last person in the world I want to talk about my mate with."

My mouth drops open as she walks around me, going upstairs. Thane gives me an apologetic look before following after her.

"What the hell was that about?" I ask Lucas, who didn't seem nearly surprised as me.

He shrugs. "She thinks there's something going on between you and Thane."

I laugh. "That's insane. That's actually insane. She does know I have a mate, right? A mate who would literally disembowel anyone who looks at me in slightly the wrong way."