Chapter 61

After the meeting is over, we have dinner in the dining hall, which is large enough to fit all the wolves. Leo returns halfway through dinner, but Gwen never comes, and I wonder what they decided to do about the situation.

Katrina doesn't come to dinner either.

Cain seems significantly more relaxed about the war, and I realized that most of his stress over it the past week was linked to me. He wasn't nervous about losing the war. He was worried about losing me.

Now that Killian offered to conceal me during the war and I wasn't putting up a fight, he was much more at ease.

But Thane wasn't.

He watched every movement I made, and hung on to every word I said, giving a suspicious look to Killian and I anytime we said something. I didn't know how he picked up on Killian and I conspiring together, but then again, Thane always seemed to know when I was lying, even since we first met.

Your little tricks may work on Cain, but I know better, he had said to me after one time I tried tricking him. If he found out what Killian and I were up to, he would certainly try to put a stop to it, starting with telling Cain.

If Killian noticed Thane's skepticism, he didn't show it. Killian was relaxed as ever, telling war stories that him, Thane, and Cain shared.

"I remember in the last war, Cain ripped apart wolves so badly we couldn't ID any of the bodies," Killian says with a laugh, and I smile at my mate. "He almost tried tearing me apart for a second there."

Cain chuckles. "I always wondered how you seemed to be everywhere on the battlefield at once, Killian. It's good to know it's just your Gift and you're not faster than me."

Killian laughs boisterously. "Oh, I don't know if I'd agree with that, Alpha. You're getting old. Want to put that to the test?"

"Let's go for a run then," Thane suggests, and I narrow my eyes at him, wondering if he himself is cooking up a plan. "Just the three of us, just like the old days."

"If the Alphas are racing against each other, then Ares should come," Killian says, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "I, for one, am exceptionally curious to see if the rumors are true."

I need to find Katrina, and Cain being occupied is the perfect time to do so. "Sorry, Killian, I'll have to kick your ass another day," I say smoothly. "I'm exhausted. Early morning training."

Thane's eyes narrow at me. I can almost hear him thinking: You're never tired.

Worry floods the bond. Cain.

"I'll put my mate to bed and then we'll go," Cain tells him, swooping me into his arms, and Killian smirks at me, almost like he's saying: You're welcome.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" Cain asks in concern once he tucks me into bed. "We can just go to sleep right now and I'll tell Killian we'll reschedule."

I let out a fake yawn. "No, I'll be fine. I'll probably be asleep before you even leave the house."

Cain hesitates. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Plus, Killian would think you're scared of losing the race," I add, appealing to his heightened Alpha sense of pride.

It works, and Cain quickly leaves to defend his honor. A few minutes later, I look out the window and see them shoving each other before shifting into their wolves. I get dressed, pulling on a warm cloak.

I'm able to sneak out easily, since all the Blood Lake, Blue Moon, and Crimson Shadow wolves either went to bed or are still in the dining hall swapping war stories.