Chapter 26

It was the first time I had ever heard my mate say my name aloud, I heard, and my head was spinning. My body didn't feel like my own, and I could see and hear in more detail than I knew was possible.

"It feels like my head is splitting in half," I gasp as I clutch the sides of my head, combating the divisive war in my head.

Her wolf is struggling for power, I heard in Cain's voice, but I didn't see his mouth move until he said, "Your wolf is stronger now that you're an Alpha," Cain explained, and my confusion deepened.

"Why are you repeating yourself, I heard you the first time," I say as I groan, tugging on my hair and I nearly claw out my skull as my claws protrude from my hands. My canines tear my bottom lip, not used to how much larger they are now.

"I can't control my wolf," I whisper in horror. I had always been able to suppress my wolf, making it yield to me effortlessly.

"You'll get used to it," Cain says as he soothingly stroked my leg, sending volts of electricity through my body, and I nearly shift on the spot.

The mate bond is stronger because her wolf is stronger, I hear, and I can't make sense of the influx of sounds I hear. I can hear heartbeats throughout the house, hear when someone takes a step, a breath.

I could see. See with both eyes, and I wasn't used to having vision that wasn't limited to only one eyeball. My eyes flicker around the room, seeing the dust particles that swirl through the air. I meet my mates eyes, and for the first time, I realize that they're not just brown, they're a mosaic of different dark hues. My eyes shift to his neck, to my mark. Must mark mate.

I lurch forward, latching my canines deep into his mark, and I can hear his heartbeat quicken as he groans, a combination of pain and pleasure. His hands tighten around my waist, and he no longer needs to hold back his strength from me.

When my wolf is satisfied her mate is properly claimed by her, my canines withdraw from his neck, and I can feel her settle down.

"What's happening to me?" I whisper in horror as I see the blood dripping down Cain's neck, although the wound has already begun to heal over, and he looked unbothered by it.

"It's part of becoming an Alpha, Ares," Cain sighs as he comforts me. "I'm sorry... I should have prepared you for this but... everything happened so quickly. When you become an Alpha... your wolf is the dominating presence. It controls your urges, your natural instincts."

I was terrified by the prospect of not having complete control of my actions, of my emotions. And right now, my emotions were all over the place. I felt fear, the need to mate with Cain... but most of all: Rage.

Anger coursed through my veins, anger that I had no control, that Wilson was the reason. Unable to contain it, I use the only outlet I know.

I punch the brick wall behind Cain, turning the brick into dust as I left a whole in the wall. You should have prepared her for this, look at her confusion and fear, I hear, and I attention turns on my mate.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" I shriek as more rage flows through me.

"Ares," Cain gentle says as he holds my hands down to my side, and his touch calms my shaking. "I'm not talking, you're hearing my thoughts."

I freeze, and I remember what Cain had told me long ago. Alphas can read their mates' minds.

"Please," I moan, "Block me out... I- I can't focus... it's too much."

Cain obliges, and I can almost feel a wall between our minds, and my wolf is furious at me for closing her off to our mate. "Oh, mate," Cain soothes me, and I feel like I'm shattering in his arms. "You'll be okay, you'll get a handle on this. All Alphas go through it."