Chapter 40

"Your wolves lack conviction," I tell him as I barge into his office, not bothering to knock.

Thane laughs, immediately putting his pen down and looking up at me from behind his desk. "I take it you weren't impressed by the training?"

"Didn't even break a sweat," I said with a grin, and he rolls his eyes, but his eyes twinkle.

"Lack of conviction, you say?" He asks, bemused.

I nod, plopping down in the leather chair across from him, kicking my feet up on the desk. "Lack of conviction," I confirm. "Like they aren't actually trying to cause harm."

Chuckling, Thane says, "I would hope not. The goal of training isn't for them to maximize the wounds they inflict."

I scoff, "They need more intensity. Their wolves want it, I can see that."

Thane regards me with interest, respect. "So train them."

"Train them?" I repeat, surprised. "You would let me train your wolves?"

He shrugs. "Can you name someone more qualified? I'd consider it an honor to have someone of your caliber teach them."

I grin. "No, no I can't name someone more qualified."

"I'll let you train them if," He pauses. "You agree to go on a date with me."

"A date?" I snort.

"Yes, my beloved mate," He says, his tone amused and his eyes are alight with mischief. "A date. Is it safe to assume it would be your first?"

In an attempt to rile him up, I ask, "Are you implying I don't attract males?"

He laughs. "If you're looking for a fight, my lovely mate, you won't get one."

My eyes narrow. I immensely dislike that he refuses to fight fire with fire.

"If you want to goad me into a fight, you'll have to do better than that, I'm afraid," He smirks, and I scowl.

"I would be doing you a favor by training your wolves. And you have the audacity to ask for a date in addition to that?" I ask incredulously.

"Ah, but if you decline the date, you'll be missing out on a night with the most handsome man you've ever seen," He grins, making me roll my eyes.

"I've seen better," I lie, and his grin only widens, making me even more infuriated.

"What's wrong, Gamma?" He teases. "Scared you'll fall in love with the big, bad Alpha?"

Grinding my teeth, I spit out: "Fine. One date. But no one is falling in love with anyone."

His emerald eyes stare deeply into mine, as if to say: I already am in love with you, Ares.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You were tossing and turning all night," Cain says as I get dressed.

A few days had gone by since we found the body of another guard. Again, mateless. He had gone to his shift alone, too early, and the wolf he was partnered with discovered his body.

Since then, the woods were quiet, and the attacks stopped, though I wasn't dumb enough to believe they were over. But the wolves stayed partnered, and it proved effective against whatever threat was lurking.