Chapter 27

"You're going easy on her," I call out to Lucas. Lucas, though a strong wolf, was far too gentle with Onyx. I had seen him shatter countless bones while training, even some of mine, but over the last week, Onyx only left the trainings with minor bruises.

I kick the punching bag, but my wolf wants more. Blood.

Ever since Cain had left, my wolf has been inconsolable. Despite talking to him through our mindlink, I could feel the bond tugging, begging me to be with my mate.

"You two keep sparring for awhile, I have to go," I mutter as I leave the training center, my mask and cloak wrapped around me like a second skin.

I practically sprint into the woods, deeper into uncharted territory. Thane had told me not to go into the woods without him or Lucas, but I had been doing so the past week without running into any complications. Maybe it was arrogance, but I had every right to be arrogant. No rogue I would cross would be stronger than me, and the threat of Wilson was just a memory now.

A memory that still plagued my nightmares. I thought that by killing Wilson, he would no longer have control of my subconscious, but the dreams came back stronger than ever. Naturally, I told Cain that I didn't have them anymore, which seemed to give him comfort in being away from me.

I also omitted information about how hard the transformation had been on me. Every day, I thought about running a blade down my eye, just to ease some of the constant stimulus that I was now being subjected to.

Everything was brighter, and seeing everything in detail had become more of a hindrance than an advantage. Thane told me that I would get used to it, but I didn't want to. I was perfectly fine with my senses the way they were before.

The headaches were the worst part. Being stabbed with a knife hurt less than the splitting migraines that assaulted my skull during every second of the day. Another thing Thane had warned me would pass.

I was yanked out of my thoughts when I heard a branch snap. Thank God. Anything to distract me from my suffering.

I summoned a knife, to be specific, the knife that Thane had given to me. I had been using it for all of my kills, and this would be no different.

When I couldn't see any signs of a rogue, I tried blocking out everything but scent. I couldn't tell why, but I could swear that I had smelled the rogue before. Almost an impossibility, since rogues never survived encounters with me.

I gasped as I felt the familiar plunge of a dagger into my chest, narrowly missing my heart. I crumpled to the ground in pain, groaning.

I couldn't feel my wolf.

I ripped the knife out, and to my horror, the wound begun to burn with intensity. Wolfsbane.

"You won't heal," A voice said, and I looked up to see a tall male with blond hair standing over my bloody body. "It was a silver dagger, and I soaked it in wolfsbane."

That's where I recognized the scent from. The rogue that had stabbed me once before, when I was with Lucas and Axel.

"I learned my lesson after the last time I stabbed you," The male said, a small smile on his face. "I can't wait for you to bleed out, dying alone, just like all of the rogues you've killed all over the continent, Reaper."

I coughed, blood seeping out of my mouth, and I could see the wound in my chest turn green. Whatever immunity I had to wolfsbane had gone away once my body healed itself during the transformation.

Thane, I'm in the Northwest section of the woods, about ten miles out from your pack, come quick, I mindlink him, trying unsuccessfully to stifle the fear in my voice.