Chapter 42

"You must be mistaken," I say as I turn to look at the man who is undoubtedly Alpha Killian.

He has straight, black hair that falls to his shoulders like a fountain of darkness. His eyes are dark blue, like a sapphire, and they're alight with interest, mischief. He wears a blue dress shirt that match his eyes, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and the first few buttons undone. Gwen was right, I couldn't deny that there was something... alluring about him.

Not just in the attractive kind of way, though he would be considered handsome by almost anybody. There was something... ethereal about him, that didn't seem ordinary.

"I am many things, dear Ares, but I am never wrong," He grinned, and I frowned at the informal use of my name. "You know," He continued, taking a step towards me and taking a sip from his glass which contained a dark liquor. "I couldn't deny that my interest piqued when I heard the Blood Luna was asking about me."

My eyes narrow. "Unless if there's another Blood Luna around, I'm afraid you've been misinformed."

He laughs, and his head cocks to the side as his eyes run along my body, and my hand twitches, fighting the urge to summon a particularly sharp knife. "I must say, I have heard many rumors of the Blood Luna, all telling tales of a particularly gruesome, beast of a female. They neglected to mention your beauty, I'm afraid."

I give a coy smile, playing along. I want to know more about the mysterious host, in particular, his allegedly strong Gift he keeps under wraps. "Am I supposed to know who you are?" I ask innocently.

He smirks. "Killian," He says, stretching out his hand for me to shake. "Alpha of Crimson Shadow."

I shake his hand, using more force than necessary, and I can hear one of his bones crack slightly.

"Sorry," I apologize with a smile as I withdraw my hand. I don't mean it. I'm trying to rile him up, provoke him into using his Gift.

But he's unbothered, and chuckles. "No apologies necessary, Luna. Though I suppose it confirms the rumors."

I laugh lowly, taking a drink from the bottle. "And are the rumors about you true, Alpha?"

His eyes narrow slightly, assessing me. "That would depend on what you heard, Luna."

I smile innocently. "Something about a Gift, a mate. A lack thereof, I suppose you could say."

His grip on his cup tightens minutely, and my mouth quirks to the side. "The Moon Goddess is fickle, as I'm sure you've surmounted for yourself, Ares."

My breathing halts, he's caught me off guard. "I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, Killian."

His head cocks to the side, a knowing smile. "Don't you?"

I jump when I feel someone's hand on my lower back, but relax when I realize who it is. "Alpha Killian, I do hope you're not bothering my mate."

Killian grins, unaffected. "Alpha Cain, I was just having a conversation with your lovely Luna. She's quite charming."

Cain stiffens, and I place my hand reassuringly on his chest, and he relaxes slightly. "You know I'll kill you if you try anything with her."

Killian's grin just widens. "No need to be so hot-headed, Cain," He pauses. "Get it? Because of his Gift? No?" He laughs.

I hear Cain grinding his teeth together. "I will burn you and your pack to the ground."

Killian snorts. "You Blood Lake folk are so serious. Lighten up, would you? It's a party." He turns around, smirking slightly at me. "I'll see you around, Ares." And he leaves Cain and I on the balcony, alone.