Chapter 34

Fuck it, here's another update. SMD.

"Where the hell have you been?" Sebastian asks me once I return back to center of the party, hoping not to run into the mysterious man again. My "mate", allegedly.

"I had to use the little Gamma's room," I respond sarcastically, and Seb snorts.

"Speaking of Gammas, seems like you were getting along famously with the Blood Lake one," Seb winks, and I roll my eyes.

"What can I say? He looks like he would be fun," I smirk, and Seb pretends to gag. "Although, I can't say the same for his Alpha."

My words pique his interest. "The Blood Alpha? You met him?" He asks, his eyes widening, and I nod, taking a glass of champagne from the table, downing it, and grabbing another.

"Unfortunately," I mutter.

Seb is about to ask more questions, when the sound of a knife against a glass rings throughout the party, silencing everyone as we turn to see the speaker.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I groan as the man who saved me from the Blood Alpha stands at the top of the staircase, all eyes glued to him. Please, please don't be the Alpha.

"Thank you to everyone for coming to the annual Mating Gathering. I feel incredibly lucky to get to host such a wonderful event. The Mating Gathering is a chance for love, for hope, for new beginnings. To those who found their mates- congratulations. To those who have not met their other half... Well, I'll see you next year," He says, his voice loud, commanding. His words left me with no doubt that he was the Alpha of Blue Moon. Thane.

Chuckles resounded through the room, and many of the wolves looked at him in respect, admiration. "So- a toast. To those who have been blessed with the opportunity to meet their True Mate...Including myself."

A few people gasp, and I can see some wolves clapping and cheering, no doubt wolves from his pack, excited their Alpha met his Luna. "I wish you all the best, and a lifetime of joy and prosperity," He concludes, and raises his glass. His eyes are locked on mine as everyone raises their glass, except for me. He doesn't break his gaze as he drinks, and smiles knowingly at me when I glare daggers at him.

"Ares..." Seb says slowly, looking between the Alpha and I. "You're not...Oh my God...You're his mate, aren't you?"

"No!" I quickly deny, but Seb grins.

"You are," Seb laughs. "Oh, this is hilarious. Definitely not a tracker then. Good luck trying to control this one, Ares."

I clench my glass so tightly it shatters in my hand. "Fuck," I mutter, throwing the glass into a thrash can, glaring at any wolves bold enough to look at me in curiosity, and they quickly avert their gaze at the murderous look on my face. I walk outside, into the cool night air.

"I'm starting to think you're a masochist," A voice says from behind me, and I grind my teeth before turning to face him.

"I could say the same thing about you. Surely, you know I could tear you apart," I threaten.

He laughs, his eyes twinkling. "I'm an Alpha, darling. You couldn't if you tried. The threats are cute though. You look adorable when you're trying to figure out how to kill me."

"We are not mates," I hiss, taking a threatening step towards him.

The Alpha laughs, and instead of moving away, he takes a step, closing the distance between us. I flinch as he puts his hand on my cheek, sending a million volts of electricity through my skin. "How easily you ignore the sparks," He murmurs. "Perhaps it has something to do with your wolfsbane consumption, no?"