Chapter Nine

I went back to the office to brief Sergeant on the new lead. On a case like this, it's good to keep your superiors as updated as you can. It's also good to have them aware of what's going on so you can use their rank to get some extra help if you need to. I've seen too many rookie detectives try to keep their investigation to themselves. Whether that was because they didn't want to get yelled at for not having any leads or they wanted to look like a hero by getting their case solved all on their own, it rarely ever worked out the way they intended.

After a few minutes of explaining the bank accounts and the conversation I had with Michael's wife, Moore replied in a way that really let me know he understood what it meant to be our supervisor "Alright well I'll get a BOLO (stands for Be On The Lookout) out for Michael and his car. Shouldn't be that hard to spot a bright white 100 thousand dollar Mercedes with a license plate of DFWDOC. I feel like it never works out this easily, but he sounds good for a suspect. I'll make sure the department knows to stop the vehicle and notify our team if they find it driving around."

Supervisors are placed in their position to do exactly what their title says; supervise cases and their subordinates. Moore always created an environment which empowered our team. We were happy and eager to work for him. So that left him with the task of supervising our cases and ensuring we had all the resources we needed. Him jumping to push information out through the department cleared me to continue working on the case. It also helped that everyone would take it more seriously, having a sergeant command something.

"Thanks, Sarge. I'm going to meet with Hope and see if there's anything else she's found out about the bank transactions. I don't know what it'll take for her to find out the names of the private accounts, but the more we can find out about who used the room, the better."

"Alright, sounds good. Seeks, I want this case closed soon. Media has been leaking the story all day. The longer they don't have a killer to put on the first page, the deeper they're going to start digging themselves. I don't want the public to know that a huge group of millionaires are all using a hotel room for drugs and prostitution. Find this guy quickly, please."

He said please, but I knew it was a command and not a request. "I'm on it, Sarge."

"I know you are. Now have you found out anything or is Hope going to be the only one finding leads on this case?"

"I mean she found the name but I was the one who got the info to make Michael a suspect."

"Yeah but if she didn't get his name you never would have gotten a suspect."

"I'm just doing what you taught me, Boss."

"Oh? What do you mean by that, Seeks?"

"I just sit at my desk and relax until someone actually working finds something I can use," I laughed and turned to leave the room. I knew what was coming next.

"Ha ha ha," Moore loudly faked a laugh. "Get out before I put you on front desk duty down at the jail."