Chapter Forty

I had been released from the hospital a few hours later and Susan drove me home. I told her to turn off all the phones and alarms in the house, I was going to get some much needed rest.

I woke up to a full breakfast prepared by Susan. Eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls and grits. It was everything I could ask for, coffee included. We enjoyed the morning together. I filled her in on everything going on in the case and gave her more details about my last meeting with Jeff. She was shocked to hear about how it ended. She knows about my past more than anyone else does. I had spent all of my adult years fighting, and I never got my ass kicked like I did last night.

Despite Susan's advice, I made my way into the office after breakfast. I walked straight to Moore's office.

"Seeks, it's good to see you. You know I wouldn't be mad if you took the day off after getting an ass kicking like you did, but I'm glad to have you here. Nice that you'd show up now that you have five dead millionaires on your case."

I could always count on Sergeant Moore to be sympathetic and make me feel good about myself. "So Sean still died?"

"Yeah, he was gone before they got to the hospital. Medics said there was no chance, he had already lost too much blood by the time they got there."

"Well that's good. I'm glad all of last night happened for a good reason." I eased back into the seat across from his desk.

Moore looked at me in silence for a moment and smiled. "It's good that you still have your humor, John. Hopefully it's still there after you type the report for the commanders explaining how you lost your duty weapon," he leaned back in his chair and laughed at that.

I just shook my head and didn't reply. I was good at accepting responsibility for my actions, but I really felt like a failure for that one. The one thing a cop should never do is lose his duty weapon. Especially not a serial killer.

"It's really not that big of a deal. I mean it is. But not under the circumstances. You can't really be expected to protect your weapon once you're knocked unconscious. I already have another one issued for you. I left it with Detective Madison, meet with her and she'll have you sign for it. But you will get yours back, got it?"

"I'll get it, Sarge. I'll get the gun back and I'll get him, too."

"I know you will, brother. Now; did he really kick your ass? I was sure that he cold cocked you from behind."

"I wish that he did. But no, he threw me on my back, gained control of me and I couldn't get out. He definitely had the upper hand."

"Well shit. I've seen you in a scrap, John. I'd have my money on you against anyone in this department. That's a scary man if he can man handle you like that."

"Trust me, I know. So what's the plan now?"