Chapter Twenty Nine

Jeff stood in place behind the barricade, blending in with the crowd of onlookers. He was a mere 200 feet from the body and from the detectives who were investigating it. He hadn't been this excited since he was returning fire to the enemy in Iraq.

Killing gave him a rush. Standing this close to the scene after, knowing there was a risk of him being caught at any moment was a high unlike any other. He understood now why so many serial killers returned to the scene of the crimes.

He bathed in the chaos around him, loving every moment of it. Loving even more that he was the sole reason all of this was taking place. Police were shouting orders, people were nearly getting in wrecks from slamming on their brakes to see what was going on. People pushed and shoved each other to get to the front of the barricade. Photographers snapped picture after picture. It was beautiful. A scene that he'd relive over and over in his head.

Jeff was beyond thankful that he made the on-the-spot decision to kill Richards in the parking lot. This was never his plan. Not ten minutes before doing it he was just thinking to himself about how to keep the cops off his scent. As soon as Jeff saw Stephens walking across the parking lot, he changed his mind.

The man looked weak. He was shorter, definitely under 5' 10", had a growing beer belly and arms that made it look like he'd never touched a weight in his life. Jeff hated men like him. Humans were designed to be incredible predators, full of strength, speed and endurance. And men chose to walk around like him. Moving their out of shape ass from one seat to the next. He hated them. Then he realized so far this is how all of the men on his list had been. They were all weak.

As Jeff realized this, he suddenly grew bored with the whole plan. He was going out of his way to create these elaborate plans to kill these men who wouldn't stand a chance against him if he handed them his knife and closed his eyes for the fight.

Then he realized the challenge was the chase. He was killing these men because they deserved to die. Well, also a little bit for personal revenge. But a part of him was doing it because he just enjoyed killing, and he was good at it. The real excitement came from staying on the run, keeping himself out of the laws reach. If he kept killing these men in privacy, they'd never know it was him.

He made his decision right away. Kill Stephens right here and now, in a public parking lot, right off of a busy street. Witnesses could see him, cameras would see him, the police would know exactly who their killer was. Then it would really be exciting. He'd officially be on the run and the game would be on. He just hoped his opponents wouldn't be as clever as they could be.