Chapter Twenty Four

I grabbed two cups of coffee and walked downstairs to meet with Jeff. Our department building is a large seven story brick and mortar piece of architecture that should have been renovated ten years ago. The top few floors exclusively house all the big wigs and detectives. The bottom floors contained the usual department things areas people are used to seeing. A large front desk where you can go ask all of your law questions, small holding cells for prisoners to wait until they can be transported to the county jail and a hallway of interrogation rooms. Double sided mirrors, steel tables, Disgustingly white cement walls, all the goods.

I met with the friend who acted as my alarm clock this morning. He was standing in front of 'Interrogation 5' which was identical to the other numbers before and after it.

"He in there?"

"Yeah man, hasn't said much to me. He's been cooperative and what not, but said he wanted to wait to go over details until you showed up."

"What a day to be me. Will you just let Moore know where I'm at when he comes in? Don't want him thinking I got more than four hours of sleep last night."

He laughed and pat my shoulder as he walked down the hall.

I walked into the room and met with Moore. He was sitting straight up in one of the two steel chairs. That perfect military posture would probably never leave him.

"Coffee?"

"Yes Sir, thank you." Jeff reached up and grabbed the coffee that I sat in front of him on the table. I didn't see any injuries or marks on his steady hands. If he had brutally murdered his third victim yesterday, he at least had sense enough to wash his hands before coming to the police department.

Jeff was wearing a tight fitting T-shirt today, which was showed a lot more about him than the untailored, long sleeved hotel uniform allotted. His arms were covered in tattoos, full sleeves on both. Tattoos were peaking over his shirt around his neck, too. He was probably covered. Our generation of veteran usually was these days. I also observed that he was larger than I thought. I was 6' 1" and I already knew he was a solid inch or two taller than me, but now I could see he was also considerably larger. Steroids weren't uncommon in the special forces organizations in the military. A lot of guys had a hard time giving that power and lifestyle up when they got out.

He broke the silence, "sorry it's so late, man. I wake up early still, I'll probably never get over that. I got up today and was watching the news and saw that priest Stephen all over it. Murdered right in his front yard?" He took a moment, "that's just crazy shit."

"Yeah, it definitely came as a surprise to us. It would have been nice if we had a list from someone who was familiar with Mr. Diggs' patrons. Might have been able to have a patrol car watching over him yesterday if we knew." I didn't want to fully guilt trip him, but playing on emotions was a big benefit that I had right now.

"I know, I know. That's why I'm here today. That's three guys who all used Mr. Diggs' hotel room. I was scared when you interviewed me the other day. Not that one of those rich dudes would try to kick my ass," I took a moment to internally laugh at the image of the overweight and unhealthy priest Stephen trying to take on this small mountain of a man who was sitting in front of me. "But that one of them would somehow use their money to ruin my life or something."

"How do you think they could do that?"

"I don't know exactly what they would do. But a lot of these guys are insanely wealthy and well known. They could easily sue me for everything I had and it would be pocket change to them. I don't want to spend the rest of my life paying off lawyer fees because I disclosed some information that ended in some millionaire losing his company or getting a divorce."

"That makes sense. So what did you want to discuss today?"

He slid a piece of paper containing a list of names across the desk.

"This is a list of the men who used the room. I know this isn't everyone. Some people never came more than once, some people avoided me at all costs and some I didn't recognize. So these are just the regulars. Should be the majority though, it was still a pretty exclusive group and it wasn't advertised. I can't imagine how big your bank account had to be to even hear about it."

I spent some more time talking with Jeff. Reminiscing about the military and fantasizing about being one of the top elite. I wasn't trying to make him my best friend, but I needed to get a real feel for him. Giving me a list and acting cooperative in the investigation didn't completely take him off of my radar.

We finished our coffee, I thanked him for his help and escorted him out of the building. I moved to my office to take a closer look at the list.