Chapter Forty Five

"Mr. Knight, you don't need to tell me that. I figured as much. I have two officers watching your building right now."

"It doesn't matter. He's here."

That was a surprise. "Who's there?"

"It's the Jeff guy, the killer. I saw his pictures on the news tonight when y'all held the press conference. I recognized him as soon as I saw him."

"What do you mean when you saw him? Did you see him around your building? I can have officers check the area."

"No, not around the building. When he came into my apartment."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying he's here, Detective. He's standing right in front of me. He told me to call you."

"Jeff Marshall is in the room with you right now?" Moore, Hope and all the other officers who were within earshot turned and looked at me with a stunned expression.

"Yes! Are you deaf, son?"

"Mr. Knight, I need you to calm down. Don't say or do anything right now that would alert him that you're talking to me."

"You're not listening, you idiot! He told me to call you. He knows who I'm talking to. He wanted me to call you specifically."

"Did he say why?" Moore was mouthing something at me but I couldn't focus on anything but the phone.

"He said he wants you to get here right away. He said to tell you to get here as fast as you can and call this number back when you get here. He said if anyone tries to come inside before he gets the phone call, he's going to kill me."

"Mr. Knight, I'm on the way. I'll be there as soon as I can. Just don't do any...," the phone disconnected before I could finish my sentence.

I didn't wait for anyone to ask what was going on. "Jeff is in Knight's room right now. He told me to get there as soon as I can and call back. If anyone tries to go in the room before I call, he's going to kill Knight."

"Well let's move, people! Everyone get there now, follow behind me and John!" Moore yelled as him and Detective Madison jumped in my car with me."Step on it, John," he ordered as he reached over and flipped the switch to activate my lights and sirens. "So what's our plan?"