Chapter Thirty Six

And then, all too suddenly, it was time. Sean stumbled through the front door, evidently having a hard time placing one foot in front of the other. He made his way into the kitchen and poured himself a glass of scotch from a near empty bottle on the counter. He downed the glass and began digging through the fridge, searching for more booze. Typical.

"Sean, it's been a long time. How have you been?" Jeff managed to sound calm, but he was more than ready to put his knife inside Sean.

The glass dropped from Sean's hand and shattered into a million pieces on the marble floor. "What the fuck are you doing in my house?" Sean stared at Jeff, tilting his head a little to help focus through the high. "Wait. You're that cop. The one who arrested me. Are you here to beg for money since you got yourself fired?"

Jeff smiled. He was going to enjoy this so much. He almost regretted waiting this long to meet with Sean.

"That's right, Sean. I'm also the security guard who's been sneaking you into the hotel night after night. Turning my head while you bathed in drugs and women. You must have been pretty high to not realize what I'd look like with a beard." Jeff wondered if he'd be able to put that together. After he lost his job, he didn't cut his hair or shave. He wanted to hide who he was from the world. It was a tactic he used countless times overseas. Change your appearance to blend in or to go unnoticed. Before he came to the house he shaved his beard and got a classic high fade, like he always had when he was a cop. He didn't want Sean to have any confusion on who he was.

"Don't give yourself that much credit, kid. I forgot who you were the second I walked out of that cell you put me in. I knew you were nothing. And I wouldn't pay any attention to the hired help a fucking hotel."

"I'll make sure that you don't forget me this time."

"We don't have to do this. What do you want, money? I can give you whatever you want. All you have to do is ask, boy. I'll forget that you were ever here and you can go pay off your student loans or whatever you need the money for."

"No Sean, there's only one way this is going to end right now," Jeff calmly said as he took a step towards Sean. He pulled the knife from the sheath on his belt, "your money can't save you this time."