Chapter Seventeen

That wasn't right. I just left the murder scene minutes ago. Media was all over it, but Michael's name hadn't been released yet. This guy should not know the victims name yet, unless he knew something I didn't.

"What do you mean you heard about Caping?"

"I'm sorry, Detective, but I don't understand what you're asking me."

"Caping is the murder victim we're working right now. But his name hasn't been released publicly yet. His body is still at the scene, actually. So what do you mean you heard about him?" I watched his face. If he had been caught off guard or surprised, he didn't show it at all. His answer was immediate and in the exact same tone of voice he had been using the entire conversation.

"Oh, well I kind of assumed that. I was walking to work just a bit ago and saw the crowd of people around the garage. They weren't saying names but people around were talking about a murder and someone mentioned a white Mercedes. Caping was one of the few people here who did talk to me, and it was always about how superior German cars were. Specifically Mercedes Benz, which he told me was the only car he would drive again. Exclusively in white, also. So I kind of put two and two together."

The response sounded casual and Jeff was still leaning back in his chair. He was relaxed. But I didn't know him well enough to know if he was relaxed because he was trying to look that way or just because he really didn't know anything and had no reason not to be.

Still, most people aren't as comfortable when being questiond by a detective over a murder investigation. This guy was either playing me or he was too dumb to realize the seriousness of this investigation. I didn't like either option.

"That's fair, I suppose. If you were able to put it together that quickly, you should try to be a cop one day. We could use some more good minds on the force here."

"Yeah, maybe one day. Don't know if it's really for me, though."

"So did you and Caping ever talk about anything other than German cars? And do you know any other names of people who came here?"

"I didn't know Caping well at all. He was probably the most egotistical man I ever met. Him talking to me wasn't friendly talk, it was him speaking to me like he was giving me advice I needed to change my life. As far as anyone else, I really don't have any information. Like I've said, I was paid to not ask questions and not look these people in the eyes. I was a peasant to them. The only reason I knew who Michael was is because I've seen his face plastered on every billboard in the city," Jeff quickly stood up and pushed his chair back. He also sounded agitated now, which happened pretty quickly.

"Now if you don't need anything else, Detective, I have work to do. I need to go make my rounds," he said as he opened the door. I got the message.

"Thanks for your help, Jeff. We'll be in touch," I said as I handed him a business card.

"Let's hope not, Detective."