Chapter Nineteen

Jeff looked down the driveway again, there was no one in sight. He turned back to the mansion and scoffed. The man who lived there was a celebrity preacher. He traveled the country preaching his sermons and collecting millions for doing so. Most of it from "donations,'' made to the church and his cause.

Stephen Anderson was filth. There were a lot of rich preachers and members from the church who gained bad publicity every now and then from all of the fancy things they owned, when most of what they preached was about living a simple life for the Lord and donating more money. Stephen had never been involved in any scandals as far as Jeff could remember, but he was one of the worst scumbags around.

He lived like a king. The only good thing about his lifestyle, as far as Jeff was concerned, he did not want to be caught and slandered in the media. So he kept his wealth completely off the radar. His house was out of the city and surrounded by a massive privacy fence. He never had meetings at his house and never advertised where he lived. He had a garage full of luxury vehicles and super-cars, but when he went to a public outing he drove his Toyota Corolla. He had become a master at keeping his grotesque wealth from the public eye. The plus side to that is Jeff knew he'd be returning to his house this evening alone.

He had already disconnected his security system. Stephen didn't dare have it connected to any networks, as there was a chance someone could hack it and show the world the truth about how he lived. It was all recorded to an internal hard drive so that he could play the videos back if ever needed to report a break in or anything else similar. The system was now turned off and the videos on the hard drive all wiped out.

As long as Stephen returned alone, no one would ever know that Jeff was at the mansion. Even the road connecting the massive driveway to the highway was secluded. He was sure no one could put him at the house.

Jeff heard the giant metal gate at the end of the driveway opening. He looked to see the Toyota moving down the drive, the gate closing moments after it pulled in. He was waiting around the corner of the massive 12 car garage. Stephen had no idea this was about to happen.

As the far right garage door opened and the Range Rover pulled in through the door, Jeff emerged from his hiding spot and followed it in. He gave Stephen all the time he needed to exit the vehicle and shut the door behind him.

He wasn't three steps from the vehicle when Jeff used his left hand to grab him under the chin, lifting his head high towards the ceiling. In one swift and precise move, his other hand, which was wielding his trusted knife, sliced the blade across his neck. Blood immediately started to gush from the wound. It didn't spray out across the room like you see in the movies, but it was enough to shock you the first time or two that you witnessed it.

Stephen's knees almost instantly buckled and Jeff gently guided him into the ground and laid him on his fat back. Jeff knelt on the ground, with one leg crossing over Stephen's body. He slowly stuck his knife inside his abdomen. Pushing it in and slowly pulling it out, making it look easy even though it's much harder to pull a blade out of a man than you'd imagine. He watched the life leave Jeff's eyes a little more after every thrust.

"Why?" Was the only word Stephen was able to get out as he was clutching his neck.

"Why? You're a preacher. You travel the world and spread the message of God. And you only do it so you can get rich. And I've seen you go to the hotel room you rented from Jason Diggs time and time again. You'd get drunk and high and all the girls brought to your room seemed far younger than any others I saw called there for other men. You're a waste of human life and you deserve to die. That's why."

Stephen had died before Jeff was able to finish his speech. "Maybe this will teach that detective some fucking humility," he thought to himself.