Chapter Thirty Nine

I woke up to medics shaking at me. My head was pounding, I could barely see. My ears were ringing like a grenade had just gone off right next to me. "What happened?"

"You tell us, brother. We just found you unconscious a few minutes ago next to that guy Sean." I looked around and realized I was in the back of an ambulance. The doors were open and Moore and Hope were standing outside watching.

"I don't remember. I was in the house. I was helping Sean, he was bleeding," it started to come back to me as I said it out loud.

"Then all that blood made you pass out or what?" The female medic at my feet laughed. You had to love first responders and their sense of humor.

"No. I was helping Sean. Then I realized he was looking at something behind me. I heard footsteps I think. I reached out for my gun. Then he grabbed me." I rubbed my hand to the back of my head and felt the dried blood. There was a lot of it.

"Guy must have hit you with something from behind. You're a pretty big guy, I wouldn't want to fight you."

I looked at the medic who was standing next to my head. I lost focus and started to think to myself. I wish he had hit me from behind. But no, I had a fighting chance once he had me on my back. That was a fight, and I lost. Jeff was stronger than me, faster than me and evidently had far more training than I had.

I worked with guys like him for hours upon hours. But guys like him, they lived that life when they were in teams. Every second of every day was spent training and fighting for them. Like I thought before, even a green beret wanted you dead, you were as good as dead.

"Did you guys find me or did the cops? What happened to Jeff?"

"We were right behind the cops. But there was no one else in the house when we found you. That Sean guy was bleeding from the throat and you were right next to him, bleeding from your head. He was conscious, but you weren't. Cops searched the entire area, but didn't find anyone else."

"Hey big shot, I got some more bad news for ya," Moore yelled from outside the ambulance. I sat up as much as I could, fighting the searing pain that was shooting through my head. Hope looked more uncomfortable than I had seen her, she was doing everything she could to not look directly at me. Moore looked pissed. Great.

"Seems you lost your gun too," he yelled back at me. I instantaneously reached down to my holster that was still on my hip. No gun.

"No, it's gotta be in the house, Sergeant. It was right next to me."

"Seeks, we searched every inch of that house and the yard. Your gun's not here. Either you forgot it at home, or Jeff decided to take a trophy."

I wish I had left it at home. I laid back down and closed my eyes. It didn't take long before I blacked out again.