Chapter Forty Three

Jeff inspected all the pieces of the 9 mm Glock 19 he had disassembled on the table in front of him. Detective Seeks had done a good job of keeping his duty weapon clean. Still, Jeff wiped down every piece again. He couldn't risk having a weapon malfunction caused by a dirty weapon when he pulled the trigger. Not for this, not for killing the detective.

This was never part of his plan. Far from it, actually. From what he could see, Seeks was a stand up man. But he had learned a long time ago that everyone has secrets. He had to be just as bad as everyone else he had met.

But worse than that, the detective was now preventing Jeff from carrying on his mission. He had a list of scumbags who deserved to die. They needed to die. And now the detective was protecting them. Just like the justice system always did. Sure he had a job to do, but he should know when to look the other way. Jeff had to do all this time. Turn his back to these wealthy assholes committing crime after crime. Injecting drugs into their veins and sleeping with women who were probably too drugged up to remember their name. It was awful and he had to kill them. He realized to do that now, he would have to kill the detective first.

Jeff walked over to the mini fridge in the tiny motel room and grabbed a lukewarm beer. He sat back down and started to put the gun back together. All he needed to do now was figure out how to do it.

The detective had figured out so much already. Seeks obviously knew he'd figure out he was the killer, but he hadn't expected him to put together who his targets were so quickly. He thought there would be more time to kill at least the first ten. Seeks was smart. And based on their conversation, he was highly trained, also. Jeff spent a lot of time working with field interrogators. They were far and few in between. They trained with the best of the best and interviewed some of the deadliest, most crazed war criminals imaginable. Though Jeff had already bested him once, he knew he couldn't take any chances. He might not get that lucky again.

But someone had to put the detective in his place. He was good, but he wasn't perfect. Everything Jeff had found about him portrayed him as some perfect hero cop. He solved tons of cases, including complicated murder cases, and there were no complaints on him in any system he could dig up. Someone needed to show him that he wasn't special. That no matter how good he thought he was, the system would still find a way to screw everything up. Detective Seeks was just a pawn in a flawed criminal justice system that only cared about money and a good public image. He was the poster boy for detectives.

Jeff was going to put a stop to that. Once he finished his plan, he'd make sure that Seeks realized he was nothing special. If Jeff wasn't stripped of his badge, he'd be a far greater cop than Seeks was. He'd make sure he realized that before he died.