Chapter 14

Zayn’s POV

“Zayn are we seriously going to have to do this every week?” Liam asks with a yawn. I glance up from my computer with a frown before looking back down and signing into the stream the X-Factor US had sent us. I’d wanted to watch their performances live but since we lived in the UK, it was 1 in the morning so they weren’t showing them. I’d phoned Simon though and he arranged so we could have a private link to the show so we could watch.

“Stop being such a spoil sport Liam” Louis says as he kicks his feet up onto the table.

“The show is two hours and we have to be up at 7 tomorrow for filming though,” Liam counters.

“Stop being such an old man. Live a little” Harry says with a grin. I was grateful

for their support, even if I knew they were only saying that so we’d watch it and they’d tease me during the performances.

“Besides Liam, I distinctly remember having a Toy Story marathon that lasted till 4 in the morning before we had to catch a flight to America last year.” Niall adds.

“Fine, fine, fine” Liam grumbles accepting defeat.

“And besides Liam, we’ll be in America in a couple weeks anyways so it won’t be at 1 in the morning. It’ll be at a normal time,” I add to placate him.

“Oh yea” Liam says, remembering the interviews planned in America in the coming months. “Do you suppose Uncle Simon will want us to make an appearance at the show?”

“I dunno” I say with a shrug.

“Bet you’d like, that wouldn’t you Zayn” Harry says with a cheeky smile. “Finally get to meet her?”

“Oh bugger off,” I say as the intro comes on, my attention locking back on the computer screen.

“So are we going to be watching them all or can we turn it off and sleep after they perform?” Liam asks. I shrug slightly. I didn’t really care about the others, I really only wanted to see Ladies First perform.

“Doesn’t matter” I reply. They show the judges walking in and the host comes out, bantering a little with the judges and announcing that this week’s theme was love. Niall sits up a bit straighter, focusing on the screen and I laugh to myself realizing it’s because Demi was on. I lean back with a sigh as some random person starts off the show. It wasn’t anyone I’d come to recognize so I tuned back into the conversation. I think I came in at a strange part because they were discussing the benefits of bathing in catsup as compared to using lotion. Ten or so minutes later, Louis glances over at the screen.

“Hey” he says repositioning himself to see the screen. “1D number 2 is coming up” he says referring to the new group as we’d started calling them. The music starts and the lads start singing Bruno Mars’s Just the Way You Are.

“They’re pretty good” Liam comments. Harry nods his head, leaning forward slightly watching the screen.

“They know how to play the crowd also.” He adds as the crowd starts getting into it.

“Good looking lads with good voices. Better be careful Niall or they might steal Demi from you” Louis says with a laugh as the song ends and Demi starts heaping praise onto them, earning a glare from Niall.

“They even have the blond one” Harry points out teasingly.

“Nah, that’s the one that’s Zayn’s competition” Louis says matter-of-factly. I glance over at Louis in surprise. So that’s the guy that everyone is saying has a thing with her. I study him, a frown on my face. He seemed like a prick. Emily could do so much better. The boys exit the stage and the next person comes on and I tune out again with a yawn. It really was late. I can’t believe I was doing this, I could have just asked for a link tomorrow and someone would have gotten one for me. But I want to see her live, a voice rings in my head.