Chapter 24

Just a reminder, in order to fully understand this chapter, you'll probably have wanted to read With Every Moment Left.

Emily's POV

@MusicJunkyEm: Can’t wait for the show tonight! Hope everyone likes the new song! #BeatingTheOdds

“Em if you don’t hurry up, we’re going to be late!” Hannah calls, walking out into the living room as she puts her earrings in. She was already dressed, her hair up in a loose bun. I check the time, jumping up when I see we have 40 minutes until the limo was picking us up.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” I shout as I race into the bathroom. Luckily I’d taken a shower earlier that day so I only had to worry about getting dressed, not getting clean. Half an hour later, I’ve got my hair in loose waves and fixed my makeup. “Zip me up?” I ask Carmen, pulling my hair over my shoulders so it wouldn’t get stuck in the zipper. “Thanks” I say with a grin as I hear the zip. I hear a knock on the door and hop over as I try to put my heels on.

“We’ll be ready in a minute,” I say to the driver as I open the door. “Oh hey!” I say in surprise when I see Chris standing there instead.

“Running late?” he asks with a chuckle.

“Maybe…” I say with a grin as I finally get the heel of the shoe on my foot. I stand up straight and his eyes scan over me.

“You look great”

“What are you doing here? We’re leaving in like 5 minutes,” I say.

“I wanted to wish you good luck with your release” he replies with a smile. Hannah and Carmen walk in to the room and he looks over at them and chuckles.

“You girls are adorable,” he teases taking in our matching dresses.

“You’re just jealous you can’t pull off this color,” Carmen teases back. The driver appears behind Chris.

“We’ve got to go. I’ll text you tomorrow” I say, grabbing my clutch and giving him a quick kiss as we head out and get in the limo. I feel the flutter of nerves as we drive to the venue. This would be the first time we’d be walking the red carpet and people would come to see us. At the red carpets during the X Factor, it was always for something else like a movie. And on top of that, we’d be releasing our single and Zayn would be there.

We pull up to the carpet and when we step out, flashes of lights start going off. The three of us move together down the carpet, pausing to talk with a few fans and sign things as we walk. When we get to the end, we pause to let the paparazzi snap a few pictures and answer a few questions being thrown at us.

“Emily. Emily. Where are your dates? Did Chris not come because you were meeting Zayn tonight?”

I almost laugh when I hear that question. If only they knew that Zayn had been avoiding me for over two weeks.

“None of us brought dates tonight. Tonight is about us, not boys,” Carmen answers. I nod my head, agreeing with her.

“My girls always come first,” I say, linking arms with them. “I suppose you could say, for us, it’s always Ladies First” I say jokingly. They chuckle and a few more questions are thrown at us. We answer one or two more before we head inside. Since we were the opening act, we’d had to get here early to make sure everything was set up and get changed into our performing outfits since it’s not what we’d worn here.