Chapter 44

Zayn’s POV

I told her. Finally.  Harry had forced me onto the phone and I finally told her. And it was a disaster. I’d immediately called her back, but with each unanswered ring, I felt myself sinking lower and lower. I didn’t know how things could get any worse.

“Umm mate... you might want to see this…” Harry says hesitantly, his eyes glued to the computer screen. I really didn’t want to move but I forced myself off the couch and walked over to see what he was looking at. I see that he’s on twitter, and as I get closer he points out one tweet in specific.

@Haleybob: Nobody cheats on my best friend. Nobody. #pissed #BetterRunForYourLife

And just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse. They did.

An hour later, the tweet was deleted. I’m guessing she didn’t think through the post and forgot how much this would blow up. She didn’t live in the celebrity world so she hadn’t learned that she had to keep reactions in check. Still, the damage had been done. Everyone knew.  People were taking sides, fanbases sending hate to each other, horrible twitter trends. It was sick and there was nothing I could do to stop it. People were either hating on me for cheating, which I undoubtedly deserved, or were hating on her for ‘being an attention whore’ for the tweet or saying she wasn’t pretty or good enough for me anyways. Each tweet of hate directed to me hurt, but each one directed at her hurt ten times worse.  I’d never felt so low.

@MusicJunkyEm: Sorry guys, going to be offline for a few days. Love you all

She was leaving because of me. It was all my fault that our fandoms were having world war III. I just hoped it would all blow over soon.

Emily’s POV

Haley felt awful, I felt awful, everyone felt awful. Haley had let the cat out of the bag in a moment of anger. She hadn’t realized the consequences of her actions and now we had a full blown war on our hands. Hannah and Carmen had tried to keep me busy. I was always with one of them, whether it be in studio or at some A list party or premiere they forced me to. I couldn’t be mad at them though. They were just trying to keep my mind off him. I think they secretly hoped also that if I seemed like I was happy, out having a good time, the fandom fight would calm down.

Two weeks went by though and it still hadn’t. I’d been on twitter once since the incident and still I knew of the battle. It was even getting media attention, which only fueled the feud. Simon had always said any publicity is good publicity, but I could tell even he was worried about this. Our fans had always been a joint fandom and this seemed to be splitting it apart. So I wasn’t surprised, although I was pretty unhappy when…

“You guys are having an interview with One Direction a week from Friday.”

“Simon, No. I can’t,” I protest

“You don’t have a choice Emily. You guys made this mess, you need to fix it. You and Zayn especially. If you don’t show, it will only make the problem worse. Everything will be scripted so you don’t have to worry. The interviewer will have a list of questions that they will ask, and you will be prepped on your responses.” He says in the phone.

“Simon” I whine.

“No. You’re going end of story,” he says, hanging up.

“Shit” I mutter under my breath, looking over at the girls who had heard everything over speakerphone.  They give me a sympathetic look, but they know there’s nothing I could do about it.