Chapter 41

“So Emily, in the newspaper there’s been talk of you inviting a fan to hang out with you?” the interviewer asks.

“Yea, it was a spur of the moment thing. We needed an extra player for teams.” I reply, not quite sure what the question was.

“It seems like you’re always doing out of the ordinary things for the fans” she adds. I shrug my shoulders slightly.

“I try to treat them like I’d have wanted to be treated if I was in their place” I say with a shrug.

”And I hear you’ve brought a date with you?” the interviewer asks, changing the subject. I chuckle as flashes light up the night. It was the night of the TCA’s and we were currently on the red carpet, each of us separately being interviewed by different stations.

“Kind of” I reply with a smile. “He’s here but they don’t have us sitting together. He’s with his band mates and I’m with mine”

“Is it going to be awkward with your current boyfriend, your ex, and his current girlfriend here?” she continues. I shrug slightly.

“I don’t know. Maybe. I wasn’t planning on searching them out” I joke. “I don’t really think you should hang out with your ex after you’ve broken up. What possible reason could there be for doing it?” I ask. She smiles, nodding her head and thanking me for the interview as security motions for us to head inside.

“Hey” Zayn says wrapping his arms around me and greeting me with a smile as soon as I’m in the door.

“Hey” I laugh. “Aren’t you supposed to be backstage preparing for your performance?” I joke, raising an eyebrow.

“I snuck away” he replies proudly. “Besides, I wanted to see my girlfriend” he says and I can’t help my smile from widening. I’d never get used to being called that. Zayn was my boyfriend. Mine. And only mine.

“You better get back before Paul gets angry”

“What? With no kiss goodbye?” he asks cheekily. I chuckle pecking him lightly on the lips.

“Aw that’s it?” he whines with a childish smile. I laugh, shrugging my shoulders.

“Well give a good performance and maybe there will be more after” I say with a wink. He chuckles, pressing his lips to mine again before he’s slipped out of my arms and disappeared around the corner.

The show goes without a hitch. The boys performed Live While We’re Young, winning Best Pop Album, and Best Music Video. We’d managed to win Best Breakout Artists, and I got a sick joy out of it knowing we’d beaten both Next Generation and Lily.

“Our first awards!” Carmen cheers as we leave the place.

“Yea yea yea” Nathan jokes. “Just rub it in”

“Sorry mate, maybe you could borrow one of mine” Zayn replies with a laugh.

“Ouch. That hurts” Nathan grins, rubbing his chest like he’d been stabbed in the heart.

“Well it was nice meeting you” Ben says to Zayn who nods in return. “We’ll see you girls later then?” he asks as we get to the cars.  I nod my head as we split into the two waiting cars.

“Say hi to Haley for me” Will calls as he starts getting in the car.

“You probably talk to her just as much as I do” I joke, watching as the tips of his ears turn red and he hurries into the car. Carmen, Nathan, Zayn and I were heading out for food before going back to the apartment. Lily and Chris had disappeared shortly after the show and Hannah was going to hang out with the rest of Next Generation.