Chapter 20

“What’s his problem?” I grumble to Lilly as Jason stares me down before stalking off. She shrugs slightly.

“Maybe it’s just the nerves?” she suggests. I nod slightly. It was possible, but that was no reason to be a dick. Especially to me. He was being nice to everyone else but for some reason he was hating on me. I check the time on my phone for the 20th time in the last 5 minutes. We were getting close to the start. In less than 3 hours, we’d know who’d won.

“Hey I gotta go, I need to get in position,” Lilly says and I nod in agreement. We separate and I head off to find the rest of the girls so we can get set for the final group number.

“There you are!” Hannah says, a wave of relief washing over her face as I round the corner.

“Sorry, just got a water,” I say lifting my water bottle, taking a small sip.

“We’re starting in 5 minutes, come on” she says, grabbing my arm and pulling me to our starting location. I hear the theme music start, and after a few seconds, I hear the intro to our song start. Here we go. As we emerge onto the stage, I glance over seeing Jason singing the beginning of the song. Then it’s our part.

As I turn up the color on my favorite winter coat. This wind is blowin my mind. I see the kids in the street, with not enough to eat. Who am I, to be blind? Pretending not to see their needs

Then it’s Lilly’s part. By the end of the song, we are all in the middle of the stage, finishing the final chorus together. The applause is deafening and after they’ve quieted down, the judges wish us luck. We are hurried off stage and rushed to wardrobe to change into our performance clothes as one of the guest performers gets takes the stage. The five of us quickly get changed and our makeup gets fixed before we are back at the edge of the stage. We were up first since we were last yesterday.

“Ready?” Carmen asks, and I can read the nervousness on her face.

“Guys, I just want you to know…whatever happens tonight… I love you guys. I’m so glad we got put together,” I say

“Awwww” Hannah says, throwing her arms around the two of us, pulling us in for a group hug.

“And now, Ladies First” the announcer says. I pull back grinning.

“Show time” I say.

The music starts and the stage door opens, a cheer erupting as we appear on the stage.

“I've been working hard so long
Seems like pain has been my only friend
My fragile heart's been done so wrong
I wondered if I'd ever heal again”

I look over at Hannah as she sings the opening verse and I can tell from her face, she’s thinking about her dad. I throw an arm over her shoulder and she looks over, slightly surprised, giving me a smile as I start the bridge.

“Oh just like all the seasons never stay the same
All around me I can feel a change ohh”

Hannah and Carmen join me as we enter the verse, the stage lighting up with yellow light.

“I will break these chains that bind me, happiness will find me
Leave the past behind me, today my life begins
A whole new world is waiting its mine for the taking
I know I can make it today my life begins”

I take over as we move into the second verse.